public inbox for archer@sourceware.org
* git tip
@ 2009-03-05 22:10 Thiago Jung Bauermann
From: Thiago Jung Bauermann @ 2009-03-05 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: archer ml

Hi,

Perhaps everyone else knows about this except me, but I thought it would
be useful to share anyway:

To avoid having to type that big remote branch name when you are pushing
to your branch in the archer repo, you can set a default refspec to push
to when you don't specify anything to 'git push'. Just edit .git/config,
and add a line like this to the [remote "origin"] section:

  push = <local branch name>:<remote branch name>

In my case this would be:

  push = python:archer-tromey-python

So now instead of writing:

% git push origin python:archer-tromey-python

I can just type:

% git push

I don't know yet if you can add multiple push entries in .git/config to
create multiple branch mappings, but perhaps you can.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann

* Re: git tip
@ 2009-03-05 22:23 ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2009-03-05 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thiago Jung Bauermann; +Cc: archer ml

> I don't know yet if you can add multiple push entries in .git/config to
> create multiple branch mappings, but perhaps you can.

You can, and they can have *s in them.  Also a leading + implies "-f"
behavior, which is usually what you want for branches that only you push
to (so you can correct snafus without polluting history).  See 'man git-push'
for all the details.  e.g., this:

	push = +refs/heads/*:refs/heads/*
	push = +refs/tags/*:refs/tags/*

is what I use in some checkouts where the only local branches I have are
ones that I publish in the given remote repo.  (You can also use just
'git push repo', e.g. 'git push origin' when you have a checkout tracking
multiple published repos that you might push to.  i.e., select the repo and
let it default the refspec from .git/config.)

Thanks,
Roland

* Re: git tip
@ 2009-03-06 22:51 ` Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2009-03-06 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thiago Jung Bauermann; +Cc: Project Archer

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Thiago Jung Bauermann
<bauerman@br.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps everyone else knows about this except me, but I thought it would
> be useful to share anyway:
>
> To avoid having to type that big remote branch name when you are pushing
> to your branch in the archer repo, you can set a default refspec to push
> to when you don't specify anything to 'git push'. Just edit .git/config,
> and add a line like this to the [remote "origin"] section:
>
>  push = <local branch name>:<remote branch name>
>
> In my case this would be:
>
>  push = python:archer-tromey-python
>
> So now instead of writing:
>
> % git push origin python:archer-tromey-python
>
> I can just type:
>
> % git push
>
> I don't know yet if you can add multiple push entries in .git/config to
> create multiple branch mappings, but perhaps you can.

fwiw, I would love to see a collection of these useful tidbits appear
in the wiki.
It would save a ton of other people's time, I think.

* Re: git tip
@ 2009-03-08  4:37   ` Thiago Jung Bauermann
From: Thiago Jung Bauermann @ 2009-03-08  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Evans; +Cc: Project Archer

El vie, 06-03-2009 a las 14:51 -0800, Doug Evans escribió:
> fwiw, I would love to see a collection of these useful tidbits appear
> in the wiki.
> It would save a ton of other people's time, I think.

Agreed. I just added this tip to a new section in the
ArcherBranchManagement wiki page.