public inbox for archer@sourceware.org
From: Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com>
To: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
Cc: Project Archer <archer@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: $n for pretty-printed elements?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 06:22:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> Sorry for the delay in replying to this.
> I'm very behind :(

No problem.

> Roland> (gdb) p _m_path
> Roland> $161 = std::list = {
> Roland>   [0] = $162 = {
>
> This seems like a good idea to me.
>
> There are some subtleties.  [...]

Sure.  I didn't try to think through the whole general case of this feature.

> I suppose my point is that there are some operations, like assignments,
> which wouldn't always make sense.

Sure.  I really just had in mind the basics of "I want &(that one there) to
use in another expression".  It only has to make sense when it makes
sense. :-)

The point of frustration comes when the (ordinarily quite nice) pretty
printers are hiding what the (otherwise painful to read through) generic
old style of printing internal member details make fairly easy to express.

> I'll put this on my list.

Great!

Thanks,
Roland