public inbox for archer@sourceware.org
From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
To: Jan Kratochvil <jan.kratochvil@redhat.com>
Cc: Pierre Muller <pierre.muller@ics-cnrs.unistra.fr>, archer@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [Archer] Re: [Archer] Question about archer branch managment
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> > Hmmm, I thought that
> >
> >         $ git push origin archer-tromey-explosion-project
> >
> > would have worked right from the get go...
>
> Really not:

(I don't know if I'm the only one feeling that way, but your style
is insanely compact for my brain - it often takes a long time to
understand what you're trying to say sometimes)

> 	$ rm -rf 1 2;mkdir 1 2;cd 1;git init;touch f;git add f;git commit -m f f;cd ..;git clone 1 2;cd 2;git checkout -b x;git push origin    ;cd ../1;git branch;cd ..
> 	Switched to a new branch 'x'
> 	Everything up-to-date
> 	* master
> but
> 	$ rm -rf 1 2;mkdir 1 2;cd 1;git init;touch f;git add f;git commit -m f f;cd ..;git clone 1 2;cd 2;git checkout -b x;git push origin x:x;cd ../1;git branch;cd ..
> 	Switched to a new branch 'x'
> 	Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
> 	To /tmp/gittest3/1
> 	 * [new branch]      x -> x
> 	* master

I think I didn't express myself clearly. All I was trying to say is
that "x:x" in a "git push" command is equivalent to "x".  I wasn't
understanding the reasoning behind the instructions, but maybe I was
missing something, or making the wrong assumption somewhere (I was
assuming that Pierre named both local and remote branches with
the same name).

--
Joel