public inbox for archer@sourceware.org
* Remote repository and git push command
@ 2011-03-09 10:30 Pierre Muller
From: Pierre Muller @ 2011-03-09 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: archer

  I am still confused by the git remote repository:

  If I make change to my branch, but also want to rebase my
branch to current HEAD, I get a
warning about "loosing history"
when I try to push the new version
onto the remote repository.

  It is allowed to force the push in that case or how should I proceed
to avoid the "losing history" complaint.

Pierre Muller
GDB pascal language maintainer
developer on archer-muller-windows-multi branch

* Re: [Archer] Remote repository and git push command
@ 2011-03-09 10:44 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2011-03-09 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Muller; +Cc: archer

>   If I make change to my branch, but also want to rebase my branch to
>   current HEAD, I get a warning about "loosing history" when I try to
>   push the new version onto the remote repository.

That's the disadvantage of using rebase.  Rebase is great because
it keeps the history linear.  But the downside is that it makes it
more difficult for others to track and make changes on top of your
branch.

> It is allowed to force the push in that case or how should I proceed
> to avoid the "losing history" complaint.

I don't know what the policy is on the Archer branch, or whether
there is one or not.

Given that you are doing the work using git mostly to be able to
maintain a set of patches, I think that you would really benefit
from using rebasing, rather than merging.  As there is no one
else pushing changes on that branch, it shouldn't have any impact
on anyone else.

Anyone more actively maintaining the Archer repo should be able
to give you the final OK (or not).

--
Joel

* Re: [Archer] Remote repository and git push command
@ 2011-03-10 21:51   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2011-03-10 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: Pierre Muller, archer

Joel> I don't know what the policy is on the Archer branch, or whether
Joel> there is one or not.

We don't really have one.

I don't rebase the branches I push; I do that stuff locally.
I know others have rebased public branches, though.

I think the important consideration is whether anybody else is likely to
be working with you on the branch.

Tom

* RE: [Archer] Remote repository and git push command
@ 2011-03-11 10:32     ` Pierre Muller
From: Pierre Muller @ 2011-03-11 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tom Tromey', 'Joel Brobecker'; +Cc: archer

  As I don't expect this for now,
I tried to push my locally rebased files:

$ git push  --force
Counting objects: 59, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (35/35), done.
Writing objects: 100% (35/35), 15.75 KiB, done.
Total 35 (delta 30), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: error: denying non-fast-forward
refs/heads/archer-muller-windows-multi (
you should pull first)
To ssh://sourceware.org/git/archer.git
 ! [remote rejected] archer-muller-windows-multi ->
archer-muller-windows-multi
(non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://sourceware.org/git/archer.git'

What does that mean?

Pierre

* Re: [Archer] Remote repository and git push command
@ 2011-03-11 11:35       ` Jan Kratochvil
From: Jan Kratochvil @ 2011-03-11 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Muller; +Cc: 'Tom Tromey', 'Joel Brobecker', archer

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:32:15 +0100, Pierre Muller wrote:
>   As I don't expect this for now,
> I tried to push my locally rebased files:
>
> $ git push  --force
> error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://sourceware.org/git/archer.git'

FYI I just `git merge origin/master'.  When one wants to get a single diff
`git diff origin/master'.  For log of all the changes not cluttered by
upstream changes `git log --no-merges --first-parent'.  For preparing a submit
upstream in a split form I use some inappropriate different scripts, though.

This makes the changes linear with no problems for pull/push and no need for
--force.

Regards,
Jan