public inbox for archer@sourceware.org
From: Gary Benson <gbenson@redhat.com>
To: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
Cc: Project Archer <archer@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to change branch maintenance
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Tom Tromey wrote:
> I've been thinking a bit about how we maintain branches in archer.git
> and I'd like to propose a few changes.  Let me know what you think.
>
> First, going back to something Jan proposed years ago, I think we
> ought to delete truly dead branches.  That is, if a branch has been
> merged upstream and is no longer useful, let's just zap it.

I prefer zapping dead branches to keeping them around, but I have no
strong preference on this.

> Second, let's change our naming approach for new branches.  At the
> start of the project I was largely ignorant of git, so I made some
> obvious-in-retrospect mistakes here.
>
> I think we should adopt the more git-like "/" separator, and drop
> the "archer" prefix, as it is redundant given the repository.
>
> So, new branches would be like "tromey/project" rather than the
> current "archer-tromey-project".
>
> I don't propose renaming existing branches.

I like this idea a lot.

> Third, what about adopting a convention for a "README.archer"
> file in the top-level of each branch?  This file would explain
> the branch's purpose and would let us bypass the tedious step
> of updating the wiki whenever pushing a new branch.

Again, I like this idea a lot.  It would be great if we could do
this in such a way as to make it easy to write a script that would
produce a list of current branches and short descriptions.  Maybe
specify a simple syntax for the file, like "the first line should
be a short description of the branch."

Cheers,
Gary

--