public inbox for bfd@sourceware.org
From: Michael Nonweiler <Michael.Nonweiler@arm.com>
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@cygnus.com>
Cc: bfd@cygnus.com, Sumit.Sahai@arm.com
Subject: Re: ELF STT_SECTION symbol for .comment section
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:51:00 -0000	[thread overview]

In summary, I'm writing to agree with you.

Thank you for your reply.

More detailed comments follow...

I wrote:
>   The problem is caused by the function elf_map_symbols in bfd/elf.c
>   generating an unnamed section symbol for the ".comment" section of an
>   object file.  This upsets my linker because it expects to map all symbols
>   to image locations, and the ".comment" section of the object file is not
>   part of the image.

When I say image locations here I really mean any valid location of the
linker's output file, debugging information included.

At 12:17 11/02/99 -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>That expectation seems like a bug.  In fact, since some types of
>debugging informations have references between debugging sections,
>which require symbols in the debugging sections, I don't see how this
>can work in practice.

Yes.  For example, this is an issue if you instruct the linker to remove
debugging sections...

(rest snipped)

We intend to make our linker deal with this.

Thanks,

Michael.