* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-30 10:01 David and Jannette Uczen
From: David and Jannette Uczen @ 1999-10-30 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, H.J. Lu; +Cc: linas, binutils

If EM_I370 is different from Amdahl's ABI, wouldn't it be better to change
i370 to conform to Amdahl's?

--David

From: linas @ 1999-10-30 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David and Jannette Uczen; +Cc: ian, hjl, linas, binutils, LINUX-VM

Hi David,

It's been rumoured that David and Jannette Uczen said:

> If EM_I370 is different from Amdahl's ABI, wouldn't it be better to change
> i370 to conform to Amdahl's?

When I wrote this thing, I was not aware that Amdahl had defined an
ELF ABI.  I would like to ask you to help me get specs for the thing.
Certainly, I can't make any changes without the specs.

If Amdahl's ABI is old, inefficient, or doesn't support dynamic
linking/shared libs, then this would be an occasion to abandon old
problems.   This does not mean that you or I or someone else could not
also create the parts needed to adhere to Amdahl's ABI and add them to
gcc & gas. It just means that there is room for two ABI's if that
seems appropriate.

If I get a copy of the spec's, I will pour through them and try
to match what they've done with what I have in place.  If it seems
close, I'll volunteer to make at least the initial changes to bring
them in line.  In order of effort, from least to greatest:

-- stack layout
-- static linkage and register conventions
-- dynamic linkage mechanisms
-- new assembler directives
-- system call compatibility

Let me know.

--linas

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-30 19:32 David and Jannette Uczen
From: David and Jannette Uczen @ 1999-10-30 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linas; +Cc: linas, ian, binutils, cas30, LINUX-VM

I am willing to help in any way I can. I will contact Chris Swartout again
and see if I can get an ABI.

--David

From: linas @ 1999-10-30 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David and Jannette Uczen; +Cc: linas, ian, binutils, cas30, LINUX-VM

@ 1999-10-29 18:37 David and Jannette Uczen
From: David and Jannette Uczen @ 1999-10-29 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, linas; +Cc: binutils, linas

Just a quick correction in my last reply. When I was talking about the
mainframe it uses up to 32GB of memory, not 32MB.

--David

From: David and Jannette Uczen @ 1999-10-29 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, linas; +Cc: binutils, linas

I have already registered EM_S370 (9) with SCO. It should appear in the new
ABI.

There should be no problem using EM_S370. In all the header files I have
seen, EM_S370 has either had the correct value (9) or has been reserved.

The IBM System/370 Processor family has a long history, dating back to the
early 1960's. Each new processor is fully upwards compatible with all
previous chips. Although they were primarily water-cooled through the late
1980's, the latest generations, the System/390 processors, are air-cooled
CMOS microprocessors. There are even boards (P/390) that fit and run in PC's
at about 9 MIPS. The current "mainframe" versions (actually they are about
the size of a coke machine now) come with 1 to 12 processors, run at up to
1000+ MIPS, and have up to 32MB of memory.

The S/370 is a 16 register, 32-bit processor, however, IBM is expected to
release a 64-bit version in mid to late 2000. The current version now
support IEEE floating point. The S/370 is a big-endian machine.

Amdahl (I forget his first name), one of the developers of the S/370
processor, left IBM and started Amdahl Corporation and began manufacturing
S/370-compatible processors, much like AMD makes x86-compatible processors.

In the late 1980's, Amdahl developed UTS, a SVR4-compliant operating system
that runs on S/370 and compatible processors. They assigned EM_S370 (9) as
an ELF machine type, although SCO has no record of this. As I said earlier,
this value is now registered.

With this in mind, I think it would be inappropriate NOT to use EM_S370.
Besides only having one machine value for a particular processor (which I
believe is a goal of ELF), it would also facilitate porting GNU projects to
the UTS operating system.

Sorry for the long-winded blurb on S/370, but I thought you might want a
little background.

--David

>   > >   Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:22:49 -0400
>   > >
>   > >   I am forwarding this message to inform the binutils developers
that I
>   > >   believe that any further use of the ELF machine type EM_I370
(0xF00F)
>   > should
>   > >   be discontinued.
>
>   I picked this value in the absence of any other suitable value.
>   There is no formal ELF ABI that would specify such a value,
>   although I have been working on & off with folks inside of IBM
>   (the TJ Watson research center) to create such an ABI.  Clearly,
>   among the first steps would be to designate a machine type.
>
>   Please let me know who I should contact to get this (and also,
>   a type for the binary format) reserved in the most suitably
>   official manner possible.
>
>Talk to registry@sco.com.  They maintain the lists of official ELF
>machine numbers.  They'll give you a number if you ask, although
>sometimes you have to ask a few times.  It may help to pull in
>somebody from IBM; they seem to take big companies more seriously than
>free software people.
>
>First, though, is there some reason that it is inappropriate to use
>EM_S370?  I don't know anything about the 370, so that may be a stupid
>question.
>
>Ian

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-29 10:53         ` linas
From: linas @ 1999-10-29 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: hjl, linas, alan, uczen, binutils

It's been rumoured that Ian Lance Taylor said:
>    Ian has your i370 patch. I believe he has been swamped and he has
>    a long backlog for binutils patches. In the meantime, I will keep
>    maintaining my binutils for Linux.
>
> You're right, I do have the patch.  At first I thought I didn't, but I
> wasn't checking my older archive (I'm so far behind that I have two
> archives now).  Sorry for the confusion.  I'll try to bump it up in
> priority.

Ugh.  I hate being swamped.  I know what it feels like. Thanks.

--linas

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-29 10:05     ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1999-10-29 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: linas, uczen, binutils

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-29  9:57     ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1999-10-29  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: linas, uczen, binutils

> Talk to registry@sco.com.  They maintain the lists of official ELF
> machine numbers.  They'll give you a number if you ask, although
> sometimes you have to ask a few times.  It may help to pull in
> somebody from IBM; they seem to take big companies more seriously than
> free software people.

I have been working with the person who maintains SVR4 ABI. I will
see what I can do.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-29  9:37       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1999-10-29  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hjl; +Cc: linas, alan, uczen, binutils

   Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
   From: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)

   > I was not aware that Ian was the maintainer for the FSF copy of
   > binutils, and/or that patches sent to hjlu didn't 'automagically'
   > end up in Ian's source tree.  I signed all the copyright assignments
   > some 6-9 months ago, and hope to pursue with Ian the formalities of
   > getting the changes merged in.

   Ian has your i370 patch. I believe he has been swamped and he has
   a long backlog for binutils patches. In the meantime, I will keep
   maintaining my binutils for Linux.

You're right, I do have the patch.  At first I thought I didn't, but I
wasn't checking my older archive (I'm so far behind that I have two
archives now).  Sorry for the confusion.  I'll try to bump it up in
priority.

   Ian, Linas has some new changes to i370. Linas or I can send you an
   updated patch after you check in the current i370 patch you got.

OK.

Ian

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-29  9:36   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1999-10-29  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linas; +Cc: uczen, binutils, linas

   Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:50:28 -0500 (CDT)
   From: linas@linas.org

@ 1999-10-29  9:28     ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1999-10-29  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linas; +Cc: Alan Modra, uczen, ian, binutils

> It's been rumoured that Alan Modra said:
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, David and Jannette Uczen wrote:
> >
> > > I built binutils-2.9.5.0.14 with target=i370-elf, assembled an empty .s file
> > > to get an ELF binary. When I used readelf, it said the machine type was
> > > 0xf00f (unkown).
>
> I was not aware that Ian was the maintainer for the FSF copy of
> binutils, and/or that patches sent to hjlu didn't 'automagically'
> end up in Ian's source tree.  I signed all the copyright assignments
> some 6-9 months ago, and hope to pursue with Ian the formalities of
> getting the changes merged in.

Ian has your i370 patch. I believe he has been swamped and he has
a long backlog for binutils patches. In the meantime, I will keep
maintaining my binutils for Linux.

Ian, Linas has some new changes to i370. Linas or I can send you an
updated patch after you check in the current i370 patch you got.

Thanks.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-29  9:22 ` linas
From: linas @ 1999-10-29  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David and Jannette Uczen; +Cc: ian, binutils, linas

Ian,

@ 1999-10-29  9:14   ` linas
From: linas @ 1999-10-29  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Modra; +Cc: uczen, ian, binutils, linas

> > I built binutils-2.9.5.0.14 with target=i370-elf, assembled an empty .s file

BTW, a better place to discuss i370 related things is on the
linux-vm mailing list.  This is where most of the developers hang out.

LINUX-VM@VM.MARIST.EDU

--linas

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-29  9:12   ` linas
From: linas @ 1999-10-29  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Modra; +Cc: uczen, ian, binutils, linas

@ 1999-10-27 19:19 ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 1999-10-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David and Jannette Uczen; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, binutils, linas

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, David and Jannette Uczen wrote:

> I built binutils-2.9.5.0.14 with target=i370-elf, assembled an empty .s file
> to get an ELF binary. When I used readelf, it said the machine type was
> 0xf00f (unkown).
>
> The source I got is at ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/support/hjl/binutils , to
> which I was directed by Linas Vepstas ( http://www.linas.org ) who is working
> on a port of Linux to S/370.
>
> Is this not official? Thanks.

This is H.J. Lu's official release of binutils including the official
Linas Vepstas' IBM370 patches, which don't happen to yet be in the
official GNU binutils sources.  :-)

I can understand the confusion from someone exposed to free software
mainly through linux, as most (all?) linux distributions use H.J. Lu's
binutils.  Thus H.J.'s binutils are 'official' to most linux users.  H.J.
has supported linux with very rapid response to bugs and new feature
requests, while the Cygnus/FSF binutils releases have lagged somewhat.
(CVS development sources are available to everyone though).  Part of the
reason for the lag is that the Cygnus/FSF binutils releases need to
support practically every architecture on the planet, while H.J. focuses
on architectures that run linux.  Also the FSF is rather strict about such
things as copyright assignment.

Ian, BTW, is the official grand-poobah binutils maintainer.

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-27 18:40 David and Jannette Uczen

>   I am forwarding this message to inform the binutils developers that I
>   believe that any further use of the ELF machine type EM_I370 (0xF00F)
should
>   be discontinued.
>
>As far as I know, the GNU binutils do not use that value.  The
>official sources may be found at
>    http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils
>
>There may be patches out there which use it.  If I get those patches,
>I will bear your comments in mind.
>
>Ian

* Re: IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-27 16:40 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1999-10-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uczen; +Cc: binutils

   From: "David and Jannette Uczen" <uczen@mint.net>
   Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:22:49 -0400

   I am forwarding this message to inform the binutils developers that I
   believe that any further use of the ELF machine type EM_I370 (0xF00F) should
   be discontinued.

As far as I know, the GNU binutils do not use that value.  The
official sources may be found at
    http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils

There may be patches out there which use it.  If I get those patches,
I will bear your comments in mind.

Ian

* IBM S/370 and binutils
@ 1999-10-27 16:24 David and Jannette Uczen
From: David and Jannette Uczen @ 1999-10-27 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I am forwarding this message to inform the binutils developers that I
believe that any further use of the ELF machine type EM_I370 (0xF00F) should
be discontinued.

Somehow, Amdahl Corporation did not register their machine type (IBM
System/370 Processor) with the SVR4 registry, which at the time was AT&T.
The have a commercially available SVR4-compliant operating system called
UTS. In accordance with the SVID, they use ELF as their object/binary format
with a machine type of EM_S370 (9). As you can see by the attached messages,
the value is now an officially registered value.

As far as Amdahl's implementation of relocation, program loading and dynamic
linking (all defined as processor-specific in the ABI), I am requesting
information from Amdahl.

Subsequently, work has been done with binutils and GCC to utilize EM_I370,
the exact same processor. Since I don't think it's wise to have to values
for the same processor, I suggest that any further development of binutils
or GCC use EM_S370 instead.

I think part of the confusion involves Amdahl. Amdahl makes S/370 compatible
processors, just as AMD make x86 compatible processors. IBM software runs on
Amdahl and visa-versa. Actually, Hitachi also makes compatible machines.

As far as autoconf target values, i.e. i370-*, I don't know if those should
be converted to s370-* or not.

ELF support is there for S/370 in hopes, I assume, of running Linux.
However, by using EM_S370, the GNU projects should easily be ported to UTS
as well.

I am considering designing an ESD/XSD backend to support the OS/390, VM and
VSE communities. Currently, only commerical compilers are available. With
the machine defintions already in place, I am hoping to extend Dave Pitt's
work. He has developed some patches that produce HLASM-compatible assembler
(IBM's Assembler), but it still needs work. If a ESD/XSD backend existed for
BFD, then GAS could also be used. This should allow targets like
s370-amdahl-uts4, s370-ibm-mvs, s370-ibm-os390, s370-ibm-oe, s370-ibm-vm,
s370-ibm-vse, s370-ibm-linux, s370-elf, s370-esd, s370-xsd, etc..

Please offer comments to my proposal.

Thanks,
David Uczen
Mainframe Technical Support
Hannaford Bros. Co.

P.S. A new version of the SVR4 ABI will be published soon, which should
contain EM_S370 as an official value.