* Where's bfd.h
@ 2011-07-12 23:48 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-07-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

    Where is bfd.h ? I just want to put info into elf's info section header.
Not to much to ask right now. Geesh.

Bill

* Re: Where's bfd.h
@ 2011-07-13  0:02 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-07-13  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: binutils

"Bill Cunningham" <billcun@suddenlink.net> writes:

>    Where is bfd.h ? I just want to put info into elf's info section
> header. Not to much to ask right now. Geesh.

bfd.h is generated from bfd/bfd-in2.h, which is in turn generated from
bfd/bfd-in1.h and a number of other files in the BFD directory.

I'm not sure what you mean by "put info into elf's info section header,"
but note that ELF structures are mostly defined in elf-bfd.h and in
include/elf.

Ian

* Re: Where's bfd.h
@ 2011-07-13  0:06   ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-07-13  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Bill Cunningham" <billcun@suddenlink.net> writes:
>
>>    Where is bfd.h ? I just want to put info into elf's info section
>> header. Not to much to ask right now. Geesh.
>
> bfd.h is generated from bfd/bfd-in2.h, which is in turn generated from
> bfd/bfd-in1.h and a number of other files in the BFD directory.

    OK I see now. I was looking at the raw source.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "put info into elf's info section
> header," but note that ELF structures are mostly defined in elf-bfd.h
> and in include/elf.

In the compiled compiled binutils-2.21 I get syscat.h ansidecl.h and bfd.h
and the libbfd.a static library in the /lib directory. ELF's section struct
has a referrence to SH_INFO. This is I believe where a vendor puts
information about his ELF file. COFF maybe different.

Bill

* Re: Where's bfd.h
@ 2011-07-13  1:41     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-07-13  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: binutils

"Bill Cunningham" <billcun@suddenlink.net> writes:

> In the compiled compiled binutils-2.21 I get syscat.h ansidecl.h and
> bfd.h and the libbfd.a static library in the /lib directory. ELF's
> section struct has a referrence to SH_INFO. This is I believe where a
> vendor puts information about his ELF file. COFF maybe different.

The sh_info field of an ELF section header has a different meaning for
different section types (sh_type field).  It does not have a
vendor-specific meaning, except, of course, when using a vendor-specific
section type.

Vendor specific information is normally put in a vendor specific note
section (type SHT_NOTE).

Ian

* Re: Where's bfd.h
@ 2011-07-13 14:32       ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-07-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Bill Cunningham" <billcun@suddenlink.net> writes:
>
>> In the compiled compiled binutils-2.21 I get syscat.h ansidecl.h and
>> bfd.h and the libbfd.a static library in the /lib directory. ELF's
>> section struct has a referrence to SH_INFO. This is I believe where a
>> vendor puts information about his ELF file. COFF maybe different.
>
> The sh_info field of an ELF section header has a different meaning for
> different section types (sh_type field).  It does not have a
> vendor-specific meaning, except, of course, when using a
> vendor-specific section type.
>
> Vendor specific information is normally put in a vendor specific note
> section (type SHT_NOTE).

    Oh Ok SHT_NOTE. I stand corrected.

Bill