* Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-31 14:01 Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich
From: Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich @ 2004-08-31 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

     I have made the same thing with MS RC and CVTRES ... It seems like this
 is not windres problem ...still not mine though ...still exists though ....
 However U have to remove the check for 2nd string parameter after
 [B,H,I]EDIT it shouldn't be there , officially ... defined by MS SDK ... no
 2nd string parameter...fix it! >;-)

 THX

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-31 15:01 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2004-08-31 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boxforsr; +Cc: binutils

>      I have made the same thing with MS RC and CVTRES ... It seems
>  like this is not windres problem ...still not mine though

If it fails with MS RC, it's your problem, by definition.  MS RC is
*always* correct, even when it's wrong, because windres is supposed to
be MS RC compatible, meaning it should have all the same bugs too.

>  However U have to remove the check for 2nd string parameter after
>  [B,H,I]EDIT it shouldn't be there , officially ... defined by MS
>  SDK ... no 2nd string parameter...fix it! >;-)

No.  We are volunteers, you can be too.  Windres has a testsuite for
exactly this purpose.  Learn how to write a testcase for it, and
submit an appropriate (i.e. ready-to-apply-and-commit) patch that adds
it.  The test case must run and pass with MS RC before we will accept
it.  Once the test case is in place to demonstrate (1) a correct RC
file and (2) the correct compiled file, then submit a patch in proper
format that changes windres to make the test case pass.

That's what the rest of us do, there's no reason for us to treat you
differently.

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-31 16:14   ` Ryan Underwood
From: Ryan Underwood @ 2004-08-31 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 11:01:37AM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> >  However U have to remove the check for 2nd string parameter after
> >  [B,H,I]EDIT it shouldn't be there , officially ... defined by MS
> >  SDK ... no 2nd string parameter...fix it! >;-)
>
> No.  We are volunteers, you can be too.  Windres has a testsuite for
> exactly this purpose.  Learn how to write a testcase for it, and
> submit an appropriate (i.e. ready-to-apply-and-commit) patch that adds
> it.  The test case must run and pass with MS RC before we will accept
> it.

On a tangent, I was working on some windres hacks to make it compile
resource files with Borland extensions.  Those same resource files will
not compile with the VC++ resource compiler.  Is there a problem with
doing this?  The reason I ask is that it sounds like Microsoft's
resource compiler is the QA target.

thanks,

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-31 17:06   ` Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich
From: Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich @ 2004-08-31 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >  However U have to remove the check for 2nd string parameter after
> >  [B,H,I]EDIT it shouldn't be there , officially ... defined by MS
> >  SDK ... no 2nd string parameter...fix it! >;-)
>
> No.  We are volunteers, you can be too.  Windres has a testsuite for
> exactly this purpose.

Excuse me please ... but I really have no time for even googling the
testsuite. .. please mr. Can U give me the links I need to try to fix the
problem....
    If u didn't understand me... the problem is that this resource file
compiled with rc can't be compiled with windres...
Here U go ....

MY_DIALOG DIALOGEX 0, 0, 100, 100, CAPTION "My Dialog"
  {
      [B,H,I]EDIT MY_EDIT, 10, 10, 20,20
  }

It sais that it needs 2nd string parameter and it is wrong ....

But that's not end ... seems that [B,H,I]EDIT is not supported at all
....but it is mentioned once in MS SDK as it can be used like EDITTEXT ...
that's very strange since it is defined both there and by windres...

@ 2004-08-31 18:08     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2004-08-31 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boxforsr; +Cc: binutils

> Excuse me please ... but I really have no time for even googling the
> testsuite. .. please mr. Can U give me the links I need to try to
> fix the problem....

The testsuite is part of the sources.  If you have windres, you
already have the testsuite.

* RE: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-31 18:34       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-08-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > Excuse me please ... but I really have no time for even googling the
> > testsuite. .. please mr. Can U give me the links I need to try to
> > fix the problem....
>
> The testsuite is part of the sources.  If you have windres, you
> already have the testsuite.

  Nah, not necessarily.  This guy's been all over the cygwin list the past
coupla days, so it's entirely possible he has a binary-only installation.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-31 18:36         ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2004-08-31 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dk; +Cc: binutils

>   Nah, not necessarily.  This guy's been all over the cygwin list
> the past coupla days, so it's entirely possible he has a binary-only
> installation.

Cygwin's setup program has a button to check to install sources.  No
excuse there.

* RE: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-31 18:42           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-08-31 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
> >   Nah, not necessarily.  This guy's been all over the cygwin list
> > the past coupla days, so it's entirely possible he has a binary-only
> > installation.
>
> Cygwin's setup program has a button to check to install sources.  No
> excuse there.

  I know, but it also means you can't infer that anyone running the binary
necessarily *has* to have the sources.  That's all I was saying.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-09-01  7:19             ` Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich
From: Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich @ 2004-09-01  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn, 'DJ Delorie'; +Cc: binutils

    Hey! All of U! I got it, ok?
Gonna download...
Look at him - "No excuse there" .... ehhhg ;-)

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-30 20:08               ` Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich
From: Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich @ 2004-08-30 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Nothing is simple! You must write the complete source code to reproduce
this
> problem. Says exactly what command line you have used to build this
> stuff. Your expected result and what you have seen. Also I did not think
you
> have said which version of windres/gcc you are using.
>
> And please stop your kiddish behavior, you are wasting everybody's
> time. Thanks.

I give up...I tried ... yes I did... We are talking different languages
still in English...
Simply (not for me) ... please check out ur ware touching [H,B,I]EDIT
statements.

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-30 20:02             ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-08-30 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich writes:
 > GetLastError reports nothing.... so source code for it is not needed right?
 > it is very simple ...
 > ok ok I'll write

Nothing is simple! You must write the complete source code to reproduce this
problem. Says exactly what command line you have used to build this
stuff. Your expected result and what you have seen. Also I did not think you
have said which version of windres/gcc you are using.

And please stop your kiddish behavior, you are wasting everybody's
time. Thanks.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-30 19:49           ` Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich
From: Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich @ 2004-08-30 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > 1ST ---I didn't atack anyone-it's a joke...know what is that? Yes, right
it
> > makes u smile or smth...Was adressed not to U anyway ....
>
> It may have been intended as a joke, but you are the only one who
> found it amusing.
Nice move .... no ...really good one..*THUMBS UP*

> Yes, I want you to write *complete* test cases.  No abbreviations, no
> leaving anything out.  Complete windres input, complete associated
> program source, so that we can compile the program and resources and
> observe exactly what you see.

  Zack .... What do U want me to write?
windres sais nothing ... debugging sais nothing .... but the dialog box
doesn't appear ....
It doesn't appear when U use [H,B,I]EDIT ... is it so hard to understand?ok
... I will write ... but I won't make an attach...

-= defs.h =-
  #define MY_DLG_ID 123
  #define MY_EDIT_ID 321

-= resource.rc =-
#include "defs.h"

MY_DLG_ID DIALOGEX  0, 0, 100, 100 CAPTION "My Caption"
  {
     IEDIT "This will never appear so I don't know why it is needed",
MY_EDIT_ID,10,10,20,20
     // IEDIT never uses second string parameter ...
  }

k?

GetLastError reports nothing.... so source code for it is not needed right?
it is very simple ...
ok ok I'll write

#include "defs.h"
INT_PTR CALLBACK MyDlgProc(HWND hwndDlg,
                                                                   UINT
uMsg,
                                                                   WPARAM
wParam,
                                                                    LPARAM
lParam)
{
   return FALSE;
};

int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,
                                        HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
                                        LPSTR lpCmdLine,
                                        int CmdShow)
{

DialogBox(hInstance,MAKEINTRESOURCE(MY_DLG_ID),GetDesktopWindow(),MyDlgProc)
;
}

This should demonstrate the idea ...

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-30 19:23         ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-08-30 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich" <boxforsr@inbox.ru> writes:

> 1ST ---I didn't atack anyone-it's a joke...know what is that? Yes, right it
> makes u smile or smth...Was adressed not to U anyway ....

It may have been intended as a joke, but you are the only one who
found it amusing.

> 2ND --- I can't talk like U saying cusbasambaratam .... and I won't ....

If you are referring to my habit of writing complete sentences and not
abbreviating common words like "you", I can only say that I consider
it a good habit, and I strongly advise that you do the same.  If that
is not what you are referring to, then I have no idea what you mean.

Also, since you seem to have missed the point of this bit:

>> A. Because it's confusing and hard to read.
>> Q. Why shouldn't I put my response above the message?

I shall spell it out: put what you write BELOW what you are quoting.
And delete text which is irrelevant to what you are saying (but do not
delete text which is relevant).  If you refuse to do this, further
messages are likely to be ignored.

> 3RD -- to the point(finally) ... what source code?!?
>     What are u talking about?
>     I said - Bad compilation of [B,H,I]EDIT's in DIALOGEX dialog
> template...yes ... rc file...what more can I say? want me to write smth?

Yes, I want you to write *complete* test cases.  No abbreviations, no
leaving anything out.  Complete windres input, complete associated
program source, so that we can compile the program and resources and
observe exactly what you see.

zw

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-30 19:12     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-08-30 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 10:39:03PM +0400, Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich wrote:
>P.S.It was not an attack ...  he knows ,what I'm talking about ....ask
>him ...it's a joke...

This is a public mailing list.  There is no "him" here who's subscribed
to every mailing list at this site and reading your private in-jokes.
It's very likely that the person you are trying to enjoy a laugh with
isn't even reading this list.

If you want to have a private conversation, send private email.

Like I said, just the facts, please.

* Re: Prob with WINDRES....The Resource Compiler...
@ 2004-08-30 18:58       ` Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich
From: Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich @ 2004-08-30 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

1ST ---I didn't atack anyone-it's a joke...know what is that? Yes, right it
makes u smile or smth...Was adressed not to U anyway ....
2ND --- I can't talk like U saying cusbasambaratam .... and I won't ....

3RD -- to the point(finally) ... what source code?!?
    What are u talking about?
    I said - Bad compilation of [B,H,I]EDIT's in DIALOGEX dialog
template...yes ... rc file...what more can I say? want me to write smth?
kk...

DIALOGEX ..........
     {
          EDITTEXT .... la la la -- works
     }

  DIALOGEX ................
    {
        [I,H,B]EDIT ....blah blah blah -- doesn't wotk
     }

[X,Y,Z]- stands for  X || Y || Z.

windres my_res.rc to coff ....

issue DialogBox proc....
        ^^
-=BOOM=-  returns (-1) - the error ... (MS-SDK DOC - call GetLastError to
find ...blah blah blah)
   GetLastError returns  no error

THX

From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-08-30 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)