* "conflicts" on stderr
@ 2007-07-10 16:45 NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2007-07-10 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Binutils

When compiling binutils, I see a number of messages outputted to
stderr similar to the following:

conflicts: 52 shift/reduce, 10 reduce/reduce

What do these lines mean?

* RE: "conflicts" on stderr
@ 2007-07-10 17:15 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-07-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'NightStrike', 'Binutils'

On 10 July 2007 17:37, NightStrike wrote:

> When compiling binutils, I see a number of messages outputted to
> stderr similar to the following:
>
> conflicts: 52 shift/reduce, 10 reduce/reduce
>
> What do these lines mean?

  It's an informational message from bison when it analyses the grammar in a
.y file.  The amount of conflicts govern the potential amount of backtracking
the parser has to do as they represent situations in which the grammar
requires disambiguation.  In general the fewer the better because the parser
will run quicker, but it's not a bug.

    cheers,
      DaveK