* Problem with ld memory region check
@ 2003-03-13 18:21 Jafa
       [not found] ` <redirect-5290142@silicondust.com>
From: Jafa @ 2003-03-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi all,

I have a problem where the .text section is larger than my available memory
(enforced by the region check), but will fit with room to spare after the
relaxation pass strips out the unnecessary long-jumps.

The hack we have been using is to lie about the region and tell the linker
that it is larger than it really is. This alows the relaxation phase to
complete, however does not warn if the .text section is still too big.

I would like to solicit feedback/comments regarding moving the region checks
until after the relaxation has completed.

One area of concern is that code can apprear to be an an address that is
actually a different region until it is resized by the relaxation pass.

Thoughts?

Nick

* Re: Problem with ld memory region check
@ 2003-03-13 23:47 ` Alan Modra
       [not found] ` <redirect-5290142@silicondust.com>
From: Alan Modra @ 2003-03-13 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jafa; +Cc: binutils

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:20:56AM -0800, Jafa wrote:
> I have a problem where the .text section is larger than my available memory
> (enforced by the region check), but will fit with room to spare after the
> relaxation pass strips out the unnecessary long-jumps.

Use CVS binutils.  Fixed 2003-02-21.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre