From: Richard Earnshaw <Richard.Earnshaw@foss.arm.com>
To: Umesh Kalappa <umesh.kalappa0@gmail.com>
Cc: bug-binutils@gnu.org, Binutils <binutils@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: ARMV7a: selected processor does not support requested special purpose register
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:03:27 +0100	[thread overview]

On 04/10/2022 05:26, Umesh Kalappa wrote:
> Thank you Richard for the information and do you please point us to
> the reference ,which states the same ?
>
> Quick grep doesn't helped us ,Thank you again
> ~Umesh
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 9:24 PM Richard Earnshaw
> <Richard.Earnshaw@foss.arm.com> wrote:

>>> that's because the instruction you want is
>>>
>>> vmrs r4, fpscr
>>>
>>> R.
>>
>> Also note that the fmrrs mnemonic is not part of the UAL (unified
>> assembly language) specification - it was deprecated a long time ago.
>> The correct names these days all start with a V - the disassembler
>> output shows the modern form.
>>
>> The legacy name for vmrs was fmrx.
>>
>> R.

You won't find (well are extremely unlikely to find) any documentation
for the legacy mnemonics online - the reference I have is from the ARMv5
ARM ARM from nearly 20 years ago, which was in paper form.

The current UAL syntax is documented in the Arm ARM, which you can
download from developer.arm.com - follow the links to the architecture.

There's also a fairly good list of the mapping between the legacy
mnemonics and UAL for VFP here:
https://developer.arm.com/documentation/ddi0406/b/Application-Level-Architecture/Instruction-Details/Alphabetical-list-of-instructions/F---former-VFP-instruction-mnemonics-

R.