From: Tom de Vries <tdevries@suse.de>
To: Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com>,
	binutils@sourceware.org, gdb-patches@sourceware.org
Cc: Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com>
Subject: Re: Commit: Sync top level configure and makefiles
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:49:53 +0100	[thread overview]

On 1/10/24 13:03, Nick Clifton wrote:
> commit b7e5a29602143b53267efcd9c8d5ecc78cd5a62f
> Author: Tom Tromey<tom@tromey.com>
> Date:   Tue Jan 9 06:25:26 2024 -0700
>
>      Pass GUILE down to subdirectories
>
>      When I enable cgen rebuilding in the binutils-gdb tree, the default is
>      to run cgen using 'guile'.  However, on my host, guile is guile 2.2,
>      which doesn't work for me -- I have to use guile3.0.
>
>      This patch arranges to pass "GUILE" down to subdirectories, so I can
>      use 'make GUILE=guile3.0'.

This broke the gdb build for me on f39.  I only have guile 3.0
installed, which is autodetected by the gdb build.

But while double-checking guild in gdb/configure, it executes
/usr/bin/guild-3.0, which uses GUILE as set by the top-level makefile,
in other words, guile, which is not installed.

Presumable passing down GUILE=/usr/bin/guile-3.0 or some such will fix
this, I haven't tried yet.

I'd like to know if this is a user error or not.

Thanks,
- Tom