Guys, I can confirm that Pedro's work (the binutils-head-wince_edited.diff file that he posted) does provide a solution for my problems. The solution is only partial, but that may not be a binutils problem. Here's the detail : - I created a Makefile (attached) to call gcc, gas, and ld in the same way as demonstrated by an example from Pedro - Pedro's example that just calls MessageBoxW() works with that. - My example that calls fopen/fprintf/fclose doesn't do anything. - In file2.c I made a mixture between both to call MessageBoxW before and after the fopen call. Only the MessageBoxW call before fopen happens, the one after is never reached. This is on a PDA, no other feedback comes, the process is just gone. This may not be a binutils issue at all. So I would encourage you to look into Pedro's patch because it transforms a clearly broken binutils (on ARM) into one that appears to work. Danny -- Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info