Following up on my own post. The uncertainties I had last Friday about Pedro's submission are gone. I was having library conflicts. Once these were sorted out, the test programs all worked. I was mixing newlib and coredll stuff in a bad way. So for me this boils down to : - Binutils (CVS and 2.17 pre) is badly broken for arm-wince-pe (aka to generate code for a standard Windows CE PDA). GAS and LD work (as in "they don't crash"), but they generate broken code. - Pedro's patches fix the problems known to me. Evidence is attached (including .s files, .exe files, and full objdump of the .exe files). You can compare the "exedump" files to what I described in an earlier post. Both problems are now gone. Danny P.S. The "evidence" was created with these tools : dannypc: {24} arm-wince-pe-as --version GNU assembler 2.17.50 20060427 Copyright 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc. [...] This assembler was configured for a target of `arm-wince-pe'. dannypc: {25} arm-wince-pe-ld --version GNU ld version 2.17.50 20060427 Copyright 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc. [...] dannypc: {26} arm-wince-pe-gcc --version arm-wince-pe-gcc (GCC) 4.1.0 Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. [...] Danny On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 21:02 +0200, Danny Backx wrote: > Guys, > > I can confirm that Pedro's work (the binutils-head-wince_edited.diff > file that he posted) does provide a solution for my problems. > > The solution is only partial, but that may not be a binutils problem. > > Here's the detail : > - I created a Makefile (attached) to call gcc, gas, and ld in the same > way as demonstrated by an example from Pedro > - Pedro's example that just calls MessageBoxW() works with that. > - My example that calls fopen/fprintf/fclose doesn't do anything. > - In file2.c I made a mixture between both to call MessageBoxW before > and after the fopen call. Only the MessageBoxW call before fopen > happens, the one after is never reached. This is on a PDA, no other > feedback comes, the process is just gone. This may not be a binutils > issue at all. > > So I would encourage you to look into Pedro's patch because it > transforms a clearly broken binutils (on ARM) into one that appears to > work. > > Danny -- Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info