From: Jeff Baker <jbaker@qnx.com>
To: "'binutils@sources.redhat.com'" <binutils@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: How do I prevent ld from merging PT_LOAD segments?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:08:00 -0000	[thread overview]

We're currently in the process of moving from binutils-2.10.1 (Wow, that's
old) to binutils-2.12.1 (Wow, that's... not quite so old).  I've observed a
new behaviour that I've confirmed is also in the current head branch.

The newer binutils (arm, ppc and sh4) seem to be merging two PT_LOAD
segments into one (x86 and mips don't).  For various reasons we need to have
both of these segments separate.

My wild, uninformed theory is that this is the result of a new feature added
after 2.10.1 that can be overridden somewhere in the linker scripts.
Whether I'm correct or not, I don't know how to deal with this.  I would
appreciate an explanation of this behaviour if someone is feeling benevolent
enough to give me one.

Thanks,
Jeff