From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
To: "Koundinya.K" <kk@ddeorg.soft.net>
Cc: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>,
	binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com, ian@airs.com
Subject: Re: PATCH for elf32-mips.c
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 14:42:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 07:27:51PM +0530, Koundinya.K wrote:

> mark@codesourcery.com said:
> -> This patch repairs some bain dramage.  Ralf reports much improved
> -> results with this patch.  I'm working through some other issues, with
> -> help from Ian.
>
> -> -- Mark Mitchell                   mark@codesourcery.com CodeSourcery,
> -> LLC               http://www.codesourcery.com
>
> This has also solved my earlier problems. In fact after more than one month
> I am able to use the GNU ld again !!. I am excited about that.
> Thanx to Mark and Ian for looking into the problems that I reported.
> ( I have really bugged you people a lot :-)
>
> I am also able to generate a shared library ( I have tested by building one
> libkk.so). But If I use the crtbegin and crtend files I am not able to
> generate the shared library. So I decided to do off with that.
>
> Then When I try a test program to use that shared library I get a message
> like:
>
> /usr/cygnus/H-mips-dde-sysv4.2MP/mips-dde-sysv4.2MP/bin/ld: ./libkk.so:
> invalid string offset 5920 >= 239 for section `.dynstr'
>
> But then I am able to run the binary and it works fine. Amazing !!.

Let me append myself to this status report.  Current binutils plus a few
extra hacks are now able to compile working kernels and themselves again
on Linux/MIPS.  However when I using current binutils for building
current binutils with shared libbfd, then the resulting executable will
die due to a SIGBUS.  This is very strange since the lw which according
to gdb is causing the fault uses a valid memory reference.  I can show
this by using a a gdb print command to dereference it manually.

In short, I'm quite satisfied again with the state of binutils and wish
to say thanks as well.

  Ralf