From: John Barry <jbarry@eso.org>
To: ian@zembu.com
Cc: binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: strange compile problem
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

> This sounds more like a compiler problem than a binutils problem.  On

I read a little more of the list after I'd sent my mail, and found someone
who, while reporting a different problem stated the following:

  You can't use 2.9.1 in combination with gcc 2.95.1's option -mcpu=ultrasparc

and since I'd built my gcc-2.95.1 with exactly that I think that what I need to
do is fall back to egcs 1.1.2 and rebuild gcc (again :( Ah well [sniff]

> the other hand, since you are using an UltraSPARC, it is quite
> possible that you need some UltraSPARC support added since the 2.9.1
> release.

I was trying to compile binutils-2.9.5.0.12, which I found on va-research's
ftp site, it gives me the same kind of problems with the latest snap from
cygnus too. Though while I'm on the subject I get a problem building
bfd/libbfd.c it always fails with this error:

../../binutils-2.9.5.0.12/bfd/libbfd.c: In function `bfd_stat':
../../binutils-2.9.5.0.12/bfd/libbfd.c:638: argument `statbuf' doesn't match prototype
../../binutils-2.9.5.0.12/bfd/bfd.h:482: prototype declaration

extern int bfd_stat PARAMS ((bfd *abfd, struct stat *));

Which I figure is because 2.9.1, et all aren't fully 64bit file system
compliant, (or Solaris 2.6 isn't :) I get around it by removing
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 from the compile flags, and leaving -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1
in, seems to work, though a patch would be very welcome :)

> To check that, run the above command with the --save-temps option, and
> take a look at the resulting assembler file.  Send it in here if you
> want to, or better yet just send the lines that the assembler is
> complaining about.

Here you go :)

-c --save-temps ../../binutils-2.9.5.0.12/gprof/hist.c

hist.s:1963: Error: Illegal operands [fbule,a,pn %fcc3, .LL310]
hist.s:1986: Error: Illegal operands [fbule,a,pn %fcc3, .LL256]
hist.s:2008: Error: Illegal operands [fbule,a,pn %fcc3, .LL311]
hist.s:2100: Error: Illegal operands [fbule,a,pn %fcc3, .LL316]

> Even though you are compiling the binutils code itself, it's much
> easier for you to send a test case than it is for us to try to
> duplicate your compiler.

Duly noted, cheers for the reply, much appreciated.

later
jb
----
John Barry