* "Linkers and Loaders"
@ 1999-12-01 21:34 Lynn Winebarger
From: Lynn Winebarger @ 1999-12-01 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

   Just picked up a book at Borders, "Linkers and Loaders".  Haven't read
it yet, but it does look promising as a source of information on the
background of linkers/loaders and their relationships with various OS'es
and programming systems.  And there was an Ian Taylor mentioned as having
provided feedback on the manuscript who I'm guessing is Ian Lance Taylor.
   Anyway, just wanted to broadcast this find for anyone else who thinks
information about the various file formats and the models of
linking/loading they support are sparse and completely disparate.
Personally, I'd like to see a page of references for bfd/ld like the gcc
web pages have.  I think this would probably be on there, along with the
specifications papers that systems vendors produce (these are what I'm
referring to as "disparate").

Lynn

* Re: "Linkers and Loaders"
@ 1999-12-01 21:58 ` Koundinya.K
From: Koundinya.K @ 1999-12-01 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lynn Winebarger; +Cc: binutils

Hello all,
	Could some one give the details of the book viz., publisher, author et all.
That would be helpful for people like me who would like to procure one.

Cheers,

koundinya
->

@ 1999-12-01 22:07   ` Lynn Winebarger
From: Lynn Winebarger @ 1999-12-01 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koundinya.K; +Cc: binutils

Author: John R. Levine
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers
(c) 2000
ISBN 1-55860-496-0 (but the store's sticker says "invalid ISBN")

They have an order line on the copyright page: (800) 745-7323

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

Lynn

* Re: "Linkers and Loaders"
@ 1999-12-01 22:38     ` Marty Leisner
From: Marty Leisner @ 1999-12-01 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lynn Winebarger; +Cc: Koundinya.K, binutils

I just ordered a copy from bookpool.

Haven't read it yet, but it looks useful.

* Re: "Linkers and Loaders"
@ 1999-12-06  5:31   ` Ulf Carlsson
From: Ulf Carlsson @ 1999-12-06  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koundinya.K; +Cc: Lynn Winebarger, binutils

> 	Could some one give the details of the book viz., publisher, author et
> 	all.  That would be helpful for people like me who would like to procure
> 	one.

The draft chapters seem to be available at http://www.iecc.com/linker/

Ulf

* Re: "Linkers and Loaders"
@ 1999-12-06  5:54     ` Koundinya.K
From: Koundinya.K @ 1999-12-06  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Carlsson; +Cc: Lynn Winebarger, binutils, kk

Hi Ulf,
	Thanks a lot for this. I am on my way downloading this. This helps a lot to
many like me.

Cheers and Happy downloading !!

Koundinya
->