* ADMINISTRIVIA: size limit for binutils mailing list messages?
@ 2001-07-23 10:19 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-07-23 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Given the recent spate of viruses showing up here, I'd like to limit the
sizes of messages to the binutils mailing list.  I thought that there was
already a size limitation in place but apparently there isn't.

Any thoughts on limitations to the size of messages to the binutils mailing
lists?

gcc has a 400K limit.  Is that acceptable?

cgf

* Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: size limit for binutils mailing list messages?
@ 2001-07-23 11:27 ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2001-07-23 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

>gcc has a 400K limit.  Is that acceptable?

Good idea.  400K sounds fine.

p.

--

* Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: size limit for binutils mailing list messages?
@ 2001-07-23 11:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-07-23 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:19:17PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Given the recent spate of viruses showing up here, I'd like to limit the
>sizes of messages to the binutils mailing list.  I thought that there was
>already a size limitation in place but apparently there isn't.
>
>Any thoughts on limitations to the size of messages to the binutils mailing
>lists?
>
>gcc has a 400K limit.  Is that acceptable?

Sorry to follow up on my own message but I thought I should qualify the
above statement.

I am not looking for interesting suggestions on how to block spam.  I'm
looking to limit the size of messages to this mailing list.  That is
easily doable using the existing software.  I'm not volunteering to
write a complete spam blocking system based on exciting ideas from
readers of the sources.redhat.com mailing list community.

I'm just trying to use the tools that are available to potentially limit
spam.

@ 2001-07-23 12:27   ` Henner Zeller
From: Henner Zeller @ 2001-07-23 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: binutils

> I'm just trying to use the tools that are available to potentially limit
> spam.

What about limiting postings only to subscribers ?

-hen

* Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: size limit for binutils mailing list messages?
@ 2001-07-23 12:58     ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2001-07-23 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henner Zeller; +Cc: Christopher Faylor, binutils

>> I'm just trying to use the tools that are available to potentially limit
>> spam.
>
>What about limiting postings only to subscribers ?

This doesn't seem like a good idea.  Quite a lot of non-subscribers have
legitimate cause to post here.  Bug reports are one example; the occasional
cross-posts from lists like gdb and gcc are another.

p.

--

* Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: size limit for binutils mailing list messages?
@ 2001-07-23 13:03     ` Thiemo Seufer
From: Thiemo Seufer @ 2001-07-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Henner Zeller wrote:

> > I'm just trying to use the tools that are available to potentially limit
> > spam.
>
> What about limiting postings only to subscribers ?

Fails for everyone who wants to (cross-)post to this list without
getting all the traffic.

Thiemo