* Relocatable executables
@ 2001-08-22 13:14 Uros Prestor
From: Uros Prestor @ 2001-08-22 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: uros.prestor

Hello,

I am using gcc/binutils to develop software for an embedded system (MIPS
ELF).  The executable is statically linked at a fixed text address, no
PIC.  At load time I need to relocate the executable at a different
address.  Is there a way to have ld include relocation info in the
executable?

The naive approach of adding the following two lines in the linker
script does not seem to work:

     .rel.text : { *(.rel.text) }
     .rel.data : { *(.rel.rodata) *(.rel.data) }

On the other hand, compiling with PIC and creating a shared library is
too heavy handed.  Is there an easier way to have ld emit enough info in
the ELF file to allow for a load-time relocation?

Thanks in advance,
Uros

P.S.
Please keep me on the cc: list as I am not subscribed to binutils.

--
Uros Prestor
uros.prestor@nexsi.com