* BFD (pei-i386) mixes virtual size with LMA??
@ 2001-09-07  2:50 Timo Ketola
From: Timo Ketola @ 2001-09-07  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

I tried to convert pei-i386 (windows exe) into a ihex file but failed.
It seems to me that the objcopy (or any other of the binutils) takes the
addresses from the virtual size field of the pe section headers.
objdump, for example, indeed shows that field in the LMA column.

Is this a bug or am I in need of sleep?

The tools are from Cygwin 1.0 distribution and 'objdump -i' shows 'BFD
header file version 2.9-cygwin-990830'

Hopefully this is the right place to ask...

Thanks in advance!

--

Timo

* Re: BFD (pei-i386) mixes virtual size with LMA??
@ 2001-09-07  3:56 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2001-09-07  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: timo.ketola; +Cc: binutils

Hi Timo,

> I tried to convert pei-i386 (windows exe) into a ihex file but failed.
> It seems to me that the objcopy (or any other of the binutils) takes the
> addresses from the virtual size field of the pe section headers.
> objdump, for example, indeed shows that field in the LMA column.
>
> Is this a bug or am I in need of sleep?

It looks like a bug, however...

> The tools are from Cygwin 1.0 distribution and 'objdump -i' shows
> 'BFD header file version 2.9-cygwin-990830'

The 2.9 version of the binutils is an old release.  The latest release
is 2.11.2, and this version may well fix the problem.  You can
download the sources from any of the GNU FTP sites:

  http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

The latest Cygwin release may also fix this problem.

> Hopefully this is the right place to ask...

It is.

Cheers
        Nick

* Re: BFD (pei-i386) mixes virtual size with LMA??
@ 2001-09-07  6:03   ` Timo Ketola
From: Timo Ketola @ 2001-09-07  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

Nick Clifton wrote:

> The 2.9 version of the binutils is an old release.  The latest release
> is 2.11.2, and this version may well fix the problem.

Ok, it really did! Thanks a lot!

The reason that I didn't try this in the first place is that I just got
the CD and thought that it should be reasonably recent and, for a reason
or another, I had hard time to find a binary update. Encouragement
helped. But now everything is just fine. Thanks again!

--

@ 2001-09-07  9:00     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-07  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Timo.Ketola

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:46:08PM +0300, Timo Ketola wrote:
>Nick Clifton wrote:
>>
>> The 2.9 version of the binutils is an old release.  The latest release
>> is 2.11.2, and this version may well fix the problem.
>
>Ok, it really did! Thanks a lot!
>
>The reason that I didn't try this in the first place is that I just got
>the CD and thought that it should be reasonably recent and, for a reason
>or another, I had hard time to find a binary update. Encouragement
>helped. But now everything is just fine. Thanks again!

The Cygwin 1.0 CD was released in 1999.  Did you actually just purchase
this?

cgf

* Re: BFD (pei-i386) mixes virtual size with LMA??
@ 2001-09-09 21:55       ` Timo Ketola
From: Timo Ketola @ 2001-09-09 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: binutils

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> The Cygwin 1.0 CD was released in 1999.  Did you actually just purchase
> this?
>
> cgf

Actually it came bundled with Microcross X-Tools. But otherwise yes, I
purchased it just recently - got the package in last month.

--

Timo