From: Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com>
To: binutils@sources.redhat.com
Cc: "H. J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix ld bootstrap test for ia64
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:13:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I have RHL 7.2 beta (roswell2) on my IA-64 machine.  I built binutils using
the system compiler, ran the testsuite, and the ld-bootstrap tests worked.
I built binutils using a gcc 3.1 snapshot, ran the testsuite, and the
ld-bootstrap tests worked.  While doing this, I accidentally ran make
check using the gcc 3.1 snapshot against a objdir compiled with the system
compiler.  The ld-bootstrap tests failed in that case, but I don't think
it is reasonable to expect that to work, because these two compilers are
not compatible.

Next, I tried a server running RHL 7.1 beta (wolverine) with the roswell
glibc RPM installed over the top of the wolverine glibc.  On my first try,
the ld-bootstrap tests failed.  I started to look at this, and then noticed
that there was a random gcc snapshot on my path, along with a binutils
snapshot and a bunch of other stuff.  I tried again using the system compiler,
and this time the ld-bootstrap tests succeeded.

My suspicion here is that we should no longer have ld bootstrap testsuite
failures, provided that your system is recent enough, and that you haven't
replaced system tools/libraries.  If your system is even more recent, then
ld bootstrap should still work even if you have replaced some system tools.
We used to have trouble because we were still doing development work on ld,
but it has been pretty stable ever since the 2.11 release.

Jim