* Re: The Linux binutils 2.11.92.0.10 is released.
       [not found] ` <200110231042.f9NAgLQ30274@ns.caldera.de>
@ 2001-10-23  7:28   ` H . J . Lu
From: H . J . Lu @ 2001-10-23  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Kulow; +Cc: binutils, gcc

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:38:21PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 October 2001 02:59, you wrote:
> > This is the beta release of binutils 2.11.92.0.10 for Linux, which is
> > based on binutils 2001 1021 in CVS on sourecware.cygnus.com plus
> > various changes. It is purely for Linux.
>
> Hi!
>
> Does anything speak against using libtool for libiberty too? After all the
> shared libs support and the linking and all that are already in there and
> it has support for convenient libraries - and all for free.
>
> I already patched my version of binutils but I would clean it up, if you find
> it acceptable

I support it. Send it to the gcc/binutils mailing list. I don't want to
add more changes to my binutils unless it is absolute nesssary.

H.J.

* Re: The Linux binutils 2.11.92.0.10 is released.
@ 2001-10-23  8:33     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-10-23  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coolo, binutils, gcc

> Does anything speak against using libtool for libiberty too?

Note that the topic of a shared libiberty comes up once in a while.
It is technically possible to create a shared libiberty, but there are
tactical problems with using a shared libiberty that have yet to be
resolved.  A search of the archives should turn up many arguments on
both sides.

* Re: The Linux binutils 2.11.92.0.10 is released.
@ 2001-10-23  8:39       ` Stephan Kulow
From: Stephan Kulow @ 2001-10-23  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, binutils, gcc

On Tuesday 23 October 2001 17:32, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > Does anything speak against using libtool for libiberty too?
>
> Note that the topic of a shared libiberty comes up once in a while.
> It is technically possible to create a shared libiberty, but there are
> tactical problems with using a shared libiberty that have yet to be
> resolved.  A search of the archives should turn up many arguments on
> both sides.

I don't want to do a shared library. I want to use libtool to create a
convenience library that is linked later into the applications and libraries
using.

Greetings, Stephan

* Re: The Linux binutils 2.11.92.0.10 is released.
       [not found] <20011022175956.A794@lucon.org>
       [not found] ` <200110231042.f9NAgLQ30274@ns.caldera.de>
@ 2001-10-23 20:56 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2001-10-23 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hjl; +Cc: binutils

> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:59:56 -0700
> From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

> Changes from binutils 2.11.92.0.7:

> 3. Fix the ELF/cris linker.

Is this what your change to elf32-cris.c on 2001-10-21 is
supposed to accomplish?  Or is it something unrelated?
Proper bug-report, please.

brgds, H-P

* Re: The Linux binutils 2.11.92.0.10 is released.
@ 2001-10-24  3:47     ` Stephan Kulow
From: Stephan Kulow @ 2001-10-24  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Tuesday 23 October 2001 16:28, H . J . Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:38:21PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 October 2001 02:59, you wrote:
> > > This is the beta release of binutils 2.11.92.0.10 for Linux, which is
> > > based on binutils 2001 1021 in CVS on sourecware.cygnus.com plus
> > > various changes. It is purely for Linux.
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Does anything speak against using libtool for libiberty too? After all
> > the shared libs support and the linking and all that are already in there
> > and it has support for convenient libraries - and all for free.
> >
> > I already patched my version of binutils but I would clean it up, if you
> > find it acceptable
>
> I support it. Send it to the gcc/binutils mailing list. I don't want to
> add more changes to my binutils unless it is absolute nesssary.

Hi!

I've checked the binutils from CVS and there is a lot more than binutils in
there and I'm not sure how to build it all. The binutils part of it should
build though. The patch includes also parts of created files as they are
in CVS.
Please test it (especially on the cygwin platform I'm not sure if it will work
the way it worked before).

Greetings, Stephan

[-- Attachment #2: libtool-libiberty.patch.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip2, Size: 60595 bytes --]

* Re: The Linux binutils 2.11.92.0.10 is released.
@ 2001-10-23 10:48 Jack Howarth
From: Jack Howarth @ 2001-10-23 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coolo, binutils

Stephen,
    While this isn't directly related to your question on libtool,
I would note that the special branch ('multi-language'?) of libtool
that you use (for at least kdebase) is very broken. It uses -nostdlib
but isn't smart enough to actually know what is being left out by that.
This caused significant breakage on the ppc with the kcontrol sharedlibs
because they needed symbols from libgcc which your custom libtool was
suppressing with -nostdlib.
                         Jack
Jack W. Howarth, Ph.D.                                    231 Albert Sabin Way
NMR Facility Director                              Cincinnati, Ohio 45267-0524
Dept. of Molecular Genetics                              phone: (513) 558-4420
Univ. of Cincinnati College of Medicine                    fax: (513) 558-8474