* strange relocation enties (scattered data)
@ 2001-12-21  4:27 Jan Hoogerbrugge
From: Jan Hoogerbrugge @ 2001-12-21  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

I am porting bintutils to an achitecture where 32-bit absolute addresses are
not stored in 32 consecutive bits in instruction memory but in 6 groups of a
few bits. The distance between the bit groups varies per instruction. My
question is how to relocate these addresses. I think that I need to add
parameters to the relocation entries that describe how the 32 bits are
scattered in memory. Is this possible with BFD_ASSEMBLER?

Cheers,
Jan

* Re: strange relocation enties (scattered data)
@ 2001-12-21  8:52 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2001-12-21  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Hoogerbrugge; +Cc: binutils

Hi Jan,

> I am porting binutils to an architecture where 32-bit absolute
> addresses are not stored in 32 consecutive bits in instruction
> memory but in 6 groups of a few bits.

Now that is a strange architecture.

> The distance between the bit groups varies per instruction. My
> question is how to relocate these addresses. I think that I need to
> add parameters to the relocation entries that describe how the 32
> bits are scattered in memory.

Or better yet make use of the 'special_function' field to provide your
own routines to handle the relocs for these instructions,

> Is this possible with BFD_ASSEMBLER?

Yes.

Cheers
        Nick

* Re: strange relocation enties (scattered data)
@ 2001-12-21 13:03   ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2001-12-21 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 03:45:51PM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> > I am porting binutils to an architecture where 32-bit absolute
> > addresses are not stored in 32 consecutive bits in instruction
> > memory but in 6 groups of a few bits.
>
> Now that is a strange architecture.

See PA and IA64 which split constants into as many as 5 pieces.

r~