* Cross-Compling to PowerPC-WinNT
@ 2002-01-14  5:49 Michael Rich
From: Michael Rich @ 2002-01-14  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

I'm attempting to build a cross compiler to generate PowerPC-WinNT binaries
from my windows/x86 machine and I'm running into a few troubles.

FYI, This is the source code I'm using to compile with:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/reactos/binutils-2.11.90-20011023-src.tar
.bz2

To compile, I'm using the latest cygwin under Windows 2000/x86 and I issue
the command:

./configure --target=powerpcle-winnt

Configure takes a while, but finally finishes OK.

I then execute the command:

make all

Which starts compiling and gets all the way down into LD and hits the
following error message:

gcc -W -Wall -g -O2 -o ld-new.exe ldgram.o ldlex.o lexsup.o ldlang.o mri.o
ldctor.o ldmain.o ldwrite.o ldexp.o ldemul.o ldver.o ldmisc.o ldfile.o
ldcref.o eppcpe.o  ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
./../intl/libintl.a eppcpe.o: In function `pr_sym':
/cygdrive/d/prog/ros/tmp/binutils-src/ld/eppcpe.c:902: undefined reference
to `pe_dll_extra_pe_debug'

eppcpe.o: In function `gld_ppcpe_after_open':
/cygdrive/d/prog/ros/tmp/binutils-src/ld/eppcpe.c:914: undefined reference
to `pe_dll_extra_pe_debug'

This is my first step in trying to generate a full gcc cross compiler for
PowerPC/WinNT, so I'd appreciate any advice/help anyone could offer in
getting past his hurdle so I can get into actually trying to compile the
cross-compiler itself.

Many Thanks,

Michael Rich
http://www.AlphaX86.com

* Re: Cross-Compling to PowerPC-WinNT
@ 2002-01-14  6:00 ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2002-01-14  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Rich; +Cc: binutils

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:41:23AM -0500, Michael Rich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to build a cross compiler to generate PowerPC-WinNT binaries
> from my windows/x86 machine and I'm running into a few troubles.
>
> FYI, This is the source code I'm using to compile with:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/reactos/binutils-2.11.90-20011023-src.tar
> .bz2
>
> To compile, I'm using the latest cygwin under Windows 2000/x86 and I issue
> the command:
>
> ./configure --target=powerpcle-winnt
>
> Configure takes a while, but finally finishes OK.
>
> I then execute the command:
>
> make all
>
> Which starts compiling and gets all the way down into LD and hits the
> following error message:
>
> gcc -W -Wall -g -O2 -o ld-new.exe ldgram.o ldlex.o lexsup.o ldlang.o mri.o
> ldctor.o ldmain.o ldwrite.o ldexp.o ldemul.o ldver.o ldmisc.o ldfile.o
> ldcref.o eppcpe.o  ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
> ./../intl/libintl.a eppcpe.o: In function `pr_sym':
> /cygdrive/d/prog/ros/tmp/binutils-src/ld/eppcpe.c:902: undefined reference
> to `pe_dll_extra_pe_debug'
>
> eppcpe.o: In function `gld_ppcpe_after_open':
> /cygdrive/d/prog/ros/tmp/binutils-src/ld/eppcpe.c:914: undefined reference
> to `pe_dll_extra_pe_debug'
>
> This is my first step in trying to generate a full gcc cross compiler for
> PowerPC/WinNT, so I'd appreciate any advice/help anyone could offer in
> getting past his hurdle so I can get into actually trying to compile the
> cross-compiler itself.

I think you are the first person to try this in at least 3 years.  It was
probably 4 or 5 years since I last worked on the compiler (never did figure out
the exception handling support in PE for the PowerPC before Motorola and
Microsoft canceled it).

I would recomed trying an older binutils/gcc release, since the bits have
decayed from nobody using them.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304

* Re: Cross-Compling to PowerPC-WinNT
@ 2002-01-14 11:33 ` Geoff Keating
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Geoff Keating @ 2002-01-14 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alphax86; +Cc: binutils

> I'm attempting to build a cross compiler to generate PowerPC-WinNT binaries
> from my windows/x86 machine and I'm running into a few troubles.

GCC doesn't support NT on powerpc any more (and hasn't for at least a
year).  I don't think NT on powerpc ever got past a beta release.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> <geoffk@redhat.com>

* RE: Cross-Compling to PowerPC-WinNT
@ 2002-01-14 12:34   ` Michael Rich
From: Michael Rich @ 2002-01-14 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

> > I'm attempting to build a cross compiler to generate
> PowerPC-WinNT binaries
> > from my windows/x86 machine and I'm running into a few troubles.
>
> GCC doesn't support NT on powerpc any more (and hasn't for at least a
> year).  I don't think NT on powerpc ever got past a beta release.

I was actually finally able to get the bintools to compile for
powerpcle-winnt, there were a couple of problems compiling ld however.

Modify EMUL_EXTRA_OFILES in 'ld/Makefile':
    EMUL_EXTRA_OFILES = deffilep.o pe-dll.o

Then there is a problem in eppcpe.c where the variable:

char *pe_data_import_dll;

is not being compile in correctly so it causes an undefined symbol error
while linking.  Simply moving the line to the top of the file so I could
make sure it would compile fixed the problem short term.

Now I'm trying to get GCC to compile, but I believe that's a different
mailing list.

FWIW, NT4 was fully released on PowerPC, but I believe it was dropped
shortly afterwards.  My goal is to add support to the ReactOS project so it
can be built on the newer PowerPC chips since they are still actually a
viable platform.

Thanks go to Eric Kohl from the ReactOS project for helping me track down
the problem with the ld/Makefile though.

mike

* Re: Cross-Compling to PowerPC-WinNT
@ 2002-01-14 12:56   ` Jason R Thorpe
From: Jason R Thorpe @ 2002-01-14 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Keating; +Cc: alphax86, binutils

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:06:51AM -0800, Geoff Keating wrote:

 > GCC doesn't support NT on powerpc any more (and hasn't for at least a
 > year).  I don't think NT on powerpc ever got past a beta release.

No, it definitely shipped as a real realease.  I occasionally run it
on a Firepower LX MP system, and the CD I installed it from is a real
NT 4.0 release CD.

* Re: Cross-Compling to PowerPC-WinNT
@ 2002-01-14 13:46   ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2002-01-14 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Keating; +Cc: alphax86, binutils

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:06:51AM -0800, Geoff Keating wrote:

> > I'm attempting to build a cross compiler to generate PowerPC-WinNT binaries
> > from my windows/x86 machine and I'm running into a few troubles.
>
> GCC doesn't support NT on powerpc any more (and hasn't for at least a
> year).  I don't think NT on powerpc ever got past a beta release.

No, the NT 4.0 CD includes NT for the x86, powerpc, alpha and mips
architectures.  The Mips was the first to be canceled, then the PowerPC, and
then much later, the Alpha NT was canceled.

--

@ 2002-01-14 14:28     ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2002-01-14 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Rich; +Cc: binutils

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 02:18:10PM -0500, Michael Rich wrote:
> > > I'm attempting to build a cross compiler to generate
> > PowerPC-WinNT binaries
> > > from my windows/x86 machine and I'm running into a few troubles.
> >
> > GCC doesn't support NT on powerpc any more (and hasn't for at least a
> > year).  I don't think NT on powerpc ever got past a beta release.
>
> I was actually finally able to get the bintools to compile for
> powerpcle-winnt, there were a couple of problems compiling ld however.
>
> Modify EMUL_EXTRA_OFILES in 'ld/Makefile':
>     EMUL_EXTRA_OFILES = deffilep.o pe-dll.o
>
> Then there is a problem in eppcpe.c where the variable:
>
> char *pe_data_import_dll;
>
> is not being compile in correctly so it causes an undefined symbol error
> while linking.  Simply moving the line to the top of the file so I could
> make sure it would compile fixed the problem short term.
>
> Now I'm trying to get GCC to compile, but I believe that's a different
> mailing list.
>
> FWIW, NT4 was fully released on PowerPC, but I believe it was dropped
> shortly afterwards.  My goal is to add support to the ReactOS project so it
> can be built on the newer PowerPC chips since they are still actually a
> viable platform.
>
> Thanks go to Eric Kohl from the ReactOS project for helping me track down
> the problem with the ld/Makefile though.

If ReactOS has the ability to support multiple object file formats, I would
highly recomend switching over to ELF, rather than trying to resurrect PowerPC
NT support.

--

@ 2002-01-14 14:43     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2002-01-14 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Rich; +Cc: binutils

> Now I'm trying to get GCC to compile, but I believe that's a different
> mailing list.

BTW, you should probably also append GDB to your task list.  You'll need
to go back to an older release since WinNT/PPC support has been removed
from the current sources.

enjoy,
Andrew