* ar not compatible between 2.11 and 2.13 ?
@ 2003-04-29 19:41 Nitin Gupta
From: Nitin Gupta @ 2003-04-29 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I noticed that if I create an archive on machine using ar version 2.13
(2.13.90.0.2 to be precise)

--
-NI+IN

* Re: ar not compatible between 2.11 and 2.13 ?
@ 2003-04-29 19:46 ` Nitin Gupta
From: Nitin Gupta @ 2003-04-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nitin Gupta; +Cc: binutils

Sorry for the earlier partial email. Sent it by mistake

I noticed that if I create an archive on machine using ar version 2.13
(2.13.90.0.2 to be precise)
say libXYZ.a
if I do a "ar t" on machine using 2.11 (2.11.90.0.8), I see
ar t libXYZ.a
X.
Y.o
Z.o
It is just an example.
The problem, is that the object names are missing ".o" when I do an "ar
t" on a archive careted using 2.13 version. BTW, it shows it correct if
I use same version of archive to see the contents.

Please let me know, if that is never suppose to work, or if there is a
patch for it.
Thanks,
Nitin

--

@ 2003-04-30  8:34   ` Nick Clifton
       [not found]     ` <3EB076C6.8070106@equator.com>
From: Nick Clifton @ 2003-04-30  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nitin Gupta; +Cc: binutils

Hi Nitin,

> I noticed that if I create an archive on machine using ar version
> 2.13 (2.13.90.0.2 to be precise) say libXYZ.a, if I do a "ar t" on
> machine using 2.11 (2.11.90.0.8), I see
>
> ar t libXYZ.a
> X.
> Y.o
> Z.o
>
> It is just an example.  The problem, is that the object names are
> missing ".o" when I do an "ar t" on a archive created using 2.13
> version. BTW, it shows it correct if I use same version of archive
> to see the contents.
>
> Please let me know, if that is never suppose to work, or if there is
> a patch for it.

There are no more patches available or planned to be produced for
version 2.11 of binutils.  Since the 2.13 version is working correctly
I recommend sticking with that version.

Cheers
        Nick

* Re: ar not compatible between 2.11 and 2.13 ?
       [not found]       ` <3EB07785.9030904@equator.com>
@ 2003-05-01  1:26         ` Nitin Gupta
From: Nitin Gupta @ 2003-05-01  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nitin Gupta; +Cc: binutils

--

@ 2003-05-05  5:40     ` H. J. Lu
From: H. J. Lu @ 2003-05-05  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: Nitin Gupta, binutils

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:30:32AM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Nitin,
>
> > I noticed that if I create an archive on machine using ar version
> > 2.13 (2.13.90.0.2 to be precise) say libXYZ.a, if I do a "ar t" on
> > machine using 2.11 (2.11.90.0.8), I see
> >
> > ar t libXYZ.a
> > X.
> > Y.o
> > Z.o
> >
> > It is just an example.  The problem, is that the object names are
> > missing ".o" when I do an "ar t" on a archive created using 2.13
> > version. BTW, it shows it correct if I use same version of archive
> > to see the contents.
> >
> > Please let me know, if that is never suppose to work, or if there is
> > a patch for it.
>
> There are no more patches available or planned to be produced for
> version 2.11 of binutils.  Since the 2.13 version is working correctly
> I recommend sticking with that version.

The incompatibility is introduced by

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-03/msg00260.html

On one hand, I think everyone should use the current binutils. But on
the other hand, I know not everyone will do that.

H.J.