* binutils 2.15 do not compile on HPUX 10.20
@ 2004-12-03 22:11 Martin Stiaszny
From: Martin Stiaszny @ 2004-12-03 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-binutils; +Cc: binutils

Hi - I am a software developer using HPUX 10.20.  Personally, I find the
default HP tools to be sub-standard, so I am trying to get the GNU suite
working on the HP.  I need gas to build gcc (my main objective), but the
binutils don't compile "out of the box", either.

It appears that the -Ae (use ANSI C) flag is not getting propagated to
the HP C compiler, inspite of my best efforts to force it to do so.

Is this the right forum to address this problem?  I'd be more than happy
to help debug/fix this, but I will need some guidance.

cheers,
- martin

* Re: binutils 2.15 do not compile on HPUX 10.20
@ 2004-12-04  3:13 ` Albert Chin
From: Albert Chin @ 2004-12-04  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Stiaszny; +Cc: binutils

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 05:11:32PM -0500, Martin Stiaszny wrote:
> It appears that the -Ae (use ANSI C) flag is not getting propagated to
> the HP C compiler, inspite of my best efforts to force it to do so.

How about:
  $ CC="cc -Ae" ./configure ...

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)

* Re: binutils 2.15 do not compile on HPUX 10.20
@ 2004-12-05  1:27   ` Martin Stiaszny
From: Martin Stiaszny @ 2004-12-05  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Martin Stiaszny

> > It appears that the -Ae (use ANSI C) flag is not getting propagated to
> > the HP C compiler, inspite of my best efforts to force it to do so.
>
> How about:
>   $ CC="cc -Ae" ./configure ...

yeah, that would have been nice to do it pre-configure, but I eventually
got the binutils to compile by setting c_flags in the Makefile
post-configure.  Except the problem is that some of the sources have
non-ansi C in them, so you can't use -Ae on those files, and other
places you have to use -Ae, or HP's cc will freak out.  So I would
compile until an error, toggle the -Ae flag manually in the Makefile,
and continue on.  Rinse, lather, repeat.

Whoever does the make/autoconf stuff for this package might want to look
into that if HP-UX 10.20 is still of interest.

The gcc package is even more of a mess like that, and has other
problems, too.  It gets completely confused about the location of its
header files.  (I still haven't gotten gcc to build.)

oh, and why does the gnu linker not support hppa2.0 on 10.20?

thanks,
- martin