* Q: support for LE (Linear Executable) files?
@ 2005-01-21  9:25 Heiko Nardmann
From: Heiko Nardmann @ 2005-01-21  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

* Re: Q: support for LE (Linear Executable) files?
@ 2005-01-21  9:57 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2005-01-21  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiko Nardmann; +Cc: binutils

Hi Heiko,

> Last weekend I have tried to 'objdump' a Windows driver file, i.e. a LE
> executable. But objdump has told me that the file format has not been
> recognized. I had built binutils with '--enable-targets=all' but no luck ...
>
> Is LE not supported?

Sorry no I do not believe that it is supported.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: Q: support for LE (Linear Executable) files?
@ 2005-01-21 16:13   ` Heiko Nardmann
From: Heiko Nardmann @ 2005-01-21 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

* Re: Q: support for LE (Linear Executable) files?
@ 2005-01-31 17:45     ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2005-01-31 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiko Nardmann; +Cc: binutils

Hi Heiko,

> Since the format is documented I would like to start to add the recognition.
> Which part of binutils do I have to start with?

The bfd/ directory is where you should begin.  You will need to create a
new file in here along the lines of some of the file-format specific
files that already exist, eg pef.c, vms.c, oasys.c

Of particular interest will be the LE_object_p() function whose purpose
is to recognise when a particular file is in LE format.

You may want to create an entirely new configure target for files of
this format, or you may to add support for this format to an already
existing target (eg mingw32, or cygwin).  Either way you will need to
modify the bfd/config.bfd and ld/configure.tgt files, and probably the
bfd/archures.c and bfd/reloc.c files.

Feel free to ask questions on this list if you have problems.

Cheers
   Nick