* Unsupported targets slated for removal
@ 2005-03-21 15:35 Alan Modra
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Modra @ 2005-03-21 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.

All non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets.  ie. the following, I think:

    a29k-*-*

    h8300-*-rtems*
    h8300-*-coff

    h8500-*-rtems*
    h8500-*-coff

    i960-*-bout
    i960-*-coff
    i960-*-rtems*
    i960-*-nindy*
    i960-*-vxworks5.0
    i960-*-vxworks5.*
    i960-*-vxworks*

    m68k-*-vxworks*
    m68k-ericsson-ose
    m68k-*-sunos*
    m68k-motorola-sysv*
    m68k-bull-sysv3*
    m68k-apollo-*
    m68k-*-sysv*
    m68k-*-coff
    m68k-*-rtemscoff*
    m68k-*-hpux*
    m68k-*-linux*aout*
    m68k-apple-aux*

    m88k-*-*

    or32-*-coff

    sh-*-coff*
    sh-*-rtemscoff*

    tic80-*-*

    vax-*-netbsd*
    vax-*-bsd*
    vax-*-ultrix*

    w65-*-*

    xscale-*-coff

    z8k-*-*		Christian, please update z8k to use bfd!

Dead and/or maintainerless targets.

    d10v-*-*
    d30v-*-*
    dlx-*-*
    i370-*-*
    i960-*-*
    m88k-*-*
    mn10200-*-*
    msp430-*-*
    openrisc-*-*
    or32-*-*
    pj*-*-*
    *-*-linux*aout*
    *-*-linux*oldld

I'd like to add more targets to this list.  Suggestions welcome.  :)

Remember, if your favourite target happens to appear on this list, it's
not cause for heartburn.  It's a call for action of the coding variety
as distinct from the political variety.  ie. Step up and offer to
maintain the code rather than lobby to try to keep targets out of this
list.  If you're a user of one of these targets, but don't feel capable
of maintaining a target, then you are very likely better off using an
older release of binutils.  You might think that a newer binutils
release has more features and bug fixes than an older binutils.  That
should be true for the well maintained targets, but targets that don't
have a maintainer are likely to have _more_ bugs than an older release.
Fixing bugs in one target can introduce a regression in another target.

Some of the targets I put in the dead/maintainerless list are fairly
new.  I put them on the list simply because the original contributor
didn't put their name in binutils/MAINTAINERS.  Please fix..

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre

* Re: Unsupported targets slated for removal
@ 2005-03-22  1:11 ` Matt Thomas
From: Matt Thomas @ 2005-03-22  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

At 05:40 AM 3/21/2005, Alan Modra wrote:
>I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
>binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.
>

>All non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets.  ie. the following, I think:
>
>     vax-*-netbsd*

vax-*-netbsdelf* is a BFD_ASSEMBLER target.
Hence it should not be removed.

>     m88k-*-*

Work is being done to bring this up to date, see
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-m88k/2005/03/14/0000.html

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/

* Re: Unsupported targets slated for removal
@ 2005-03-22  3:16   ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2005-03-22  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Thomas; +Cc: binutils

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:51:20PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:
> At 05:40 AM 3/21/2005, Alan Modra wrote:
> >I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
> >binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.
> >

> >All non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets.  ie. the following, I think:
> >
> >    vax-*-netbsd*
>
> vax-*-netbsdelf* is a BFD_ASSEMBLER target.
> Hence it should not be removed.

Right.  That '*' matches more than I meant.  If I listed cpu-*-netbsd*
as slated for removal, then I should have excepted cpu-*-netbsdelf*.

> >    m88k-*-*
>
> Work is being done to bring this up to date, see
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-m88k/2005/03/14/0000.html

Good.  However, work in progress isn't enough to save m88k, I'm afraid.
m88k is currently a non-BFD_ASSEMBLER target, and I want to rip out all
the generic gas support for non-BFD_ASSEMBLER.  I suppose we could keep
the m88k backend files on CVS head if the person working on m88k wanted,
but m88k-coff would no longer configure or build.

--

@ 2005-03-23  5:00 ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2005-03-23  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amodra; +Cc: binutils

   Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:10:16 +1030
   From: Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>

Hi Alan,

   I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
   binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.

What do you mean with "removed from mainline" here?  These targets
from your list:

       m88k-*-*

       vax-*-netbsd*
       vax-*-bsd*
       vax-*-ultrix*

are still fully supported by me in GDB, and support for them shouldn't
be removed from bdf/ and opcodes/.

Also putting my OpenBSD hat on, vax-*-elf is somewhat important to us,
but from your reaction to Matt Thomass's mail you don't intend to
whack that.

Mark

* Re: Unsupported targets slated for removal
@ 2005-03-23  8:24   ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2005-03-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: binutils

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:56:00PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>    Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:10:16 +1030
>    From: Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>
>
> Hi Alan,
>
>    I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
>    binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.
>
> What do you mean with "removed from mainline" here?  These targets

I want to kill all non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets, to reduce the
maintenance burden, and allow BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets to be cleaned up
without worrying about breaking the old code.  That will mean the
generic support code in gas for non-BFD_ASSEMBLER will disappear from
mainline.  Whether the corresponding tc-* files disappear or not doesn't
matter so much, but I favour complete removal.  You won't be able to
build these gas targets until they are converted over to use BFD.

More generally, I think we should remove targets that don't have active
maintainers listed in binutils/MAINTAINERS.  Again, this is simply to
reduce the maintenance burden.  Occasionally when making a global
change, I'd like to be able to email someone and say "xyz has changed,
please fix it for your target", rather than having to dig through some
crufty backend code myself.

> from your list:
>
>        m88k-*-*
>
>        vax-*-netbsd*
>        vax-*-bsd*
>        vax-*-ultrix*
>
> are still fully supported by me in GDB, and support for them shouldn't
> be removed from bdf/ and opcodes/.

OK, I guess that's reasonable.  Please list yourself as a maintainer
in binutils/MAINTAINERS!

> Also putting my OpenBSD hat on, vax-*-elf is somewhat important to us,
> but from your reaction to Matt Thomass's mail you don't intend to
> whack that.

No.

--

@ 2005-03-25 23:57     ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2005-03-25 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amodra, thorpej; +Cc: mark.kettenis, binutils

   Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:43:28 +1030
   From: Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>

   On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:56:00PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
   >    Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:10:16 +1030
   >    From: Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>
   >
   > Hi Alan,
   >
   >    I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
   >    binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.
   >
   > What do you mean with "removed from mainline" here?  These targets

   I want to kill all non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets, to reduce the
   maintenance burden, and allow BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets to be cleaned up
   without worrying about breaking the old code.  That will mean the
   generic support code in gas for non-BFD_ASSEMBLER will disappear from
   mainline.  Whether the corresponding tc-* files disappear or not doesn't
   matter so much, but I favour complete removal.  You won't be able to
   build these gas targets until they are converted over to use BFD.

Fair enough.  Removing the tc-* files makes sense; people can always
get them from the attick or previous releases.

   > from your list:
   >
   >        m88k-*-*
   >
   >        vax-*-netbsd*
   >        vax-*-bsd*
   >        vax-*-ultrix*
   >
   > are still fully supported by me in GDB, and support for them shouldn't
   > be removed from bdf/ and opcodes/.

   OK, I guess that's reasonable.  Please list yourself as a maintainer
   in binutils/MAINTAINERS!

I've added myself as m88k maintainer.  I'm not too familliar with the
architecture, so if someone else steps up, I'll be perfectly happy to
step down.

The binutils/MAINTAINERS list already lists Jason R Thorpe as VAX
maintainer, so I didn't add myself there.  I suppose Jason is mostly
interested in vax-*-netbsdelf* and not with the old a.out
vax-*-netbsd* stuff.  Jason, if you want me to be co-maintainer for
the a.out stuff, please drop me another mail.

Mark

* Re: Unsupported targets slated for removal
@ 2005-08-10 13:27 ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2005-08-10 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:10:16AM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
> binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.
>
> All non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets.  ie. the following, I think:
[snip]
> Dead and/or maintainerless targets.
[snip]

This zaps non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets, with the exception of z8k which
Christian is in the process of converting.  I'll commit tomorrow.

gas/
	* README-vms: Delete.
	* config-gas.com: Delete.
	* makefile.vms: Delete.
	* vmsconf.sh: Delete.
	* config/atof-tahoe.c: Delete.
	* config/m88k-opcode.h: Delete.
	* config/obj-bout.c: Delete.
	* config/obj-bout.h: Delete.
	* config/obj-hp300.c: Delete.
	* config/obj-hp300.h: Delete.
	* config/tc-a29k.c: Delete.
	* config/tc-a29k.h: Delete.
	* config/tc-h8500.c: Delete.
	* config/tc-h8500.h: Delete.
	* config/tc-m88k.c: Delete.
	* config/tc-m88k.h: Delete.
	* config/tc-tahoe.c: Delete.
	* config/tc-tahoe.h: Delete.
	* config/tc-tic80.c: Delete.
	* config/tc-tic80.h: Delete.
	* config/tc-w65.c: Delete.
	* config/tc-w65.h: Delete.
	* config/te-aux.h: Delete.
	* config/te-delt88.h: Delete.
	* config/te-delta.h: Delete.
	* config/te-dpx2.h: Delete.
	* config/te-hp300.h: Delete.
	* config/te-ic960.h: Delete.
	* config/vms-a-conf.h: Delete.
	* doc/c-a29k.texi: Delete.
	* doc/c-h8500.texi: Delete.
	* doc/c-m88k.texi: Delete.
	* README: Remove obsolete examples, and list of supported targets.
	* Makefile.am: Remove a29k, h8500, m88k, tahoe, tic80, w65,
	bout and hp300 support.
	(DEP_FLAGS): Don't define BFD_ASSEMBLER.
	* configure.in: Remove --enable-bfd-assembler, need_bfd,
	primary_bfd_gas.
	* configure.tgt: Remove a29k, h8300-coff, h8500-*, i960 non-elf,
	m68k non bfd, m88k, or32-coff, tic80-*, vax non-bfd, w65k-*, *-nindy.
	* as.c: Remove all non-BFD_ASSEMBLER code, support for above targets.
	* as.h: Likewise.
	* dw2gencfi.c: Likewise.
	* dwarf2dbg.c: Likewise.
	* ehopt.c: Likewise.
	* input-file.c: Likewise.
	* listing.c: Likewise.
	* literal.c: Likewise.
	* messages.c: Likewise.
	* obj.h: Likewise.
	* output-file.c: Likewise.
	* read.c: Likewise.
	* stabs.c: Likewise.
	* struc-symbol.h: Likewise.
	* subsegs.c: Likewise.
	* subsegs.h: Likewise.
	* symbols.c: Likewise.
	* symbols.h: Likewise.
	* tc.h: Likewise.
	* write.c: Likewise.
	* write.h: Likewise.
	* config/aout_gnu.h: Likewise.
	* config/obj-aout.c: Likewise.
	* config/obj-aout.h: Likewise.
	* config/obj-coff.c: Likewise.
	* config/obj-coff.h: Likewise.
	* config/obj-evax.h: Likewise.
	* config/obj-ieee.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-arm.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-arm.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-avr.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-avr.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-crx.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-d10v.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-d30v.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-dlx.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-fr30.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-frv.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-h8300.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-h8300.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-hppa.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-i370.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-i386.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-i386.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-i860.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-i960.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-i960.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-ip2k.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-iq2000.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-m32c.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-m32r.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-m68hc11.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-m68k.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-m68k.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-maxq.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-maxq.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-mcore.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-mcore.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-mn10200.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-mn10300.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-mn10300.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-ms1.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-msp430.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-msp430.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-ns32k.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-ns32k.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-openrisc.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-or32.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-or32.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-ppc.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-ppc.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-s390.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-sh.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-sh.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-sparc.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-tic30.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-tic30.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-tic4x.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-tic4x.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-tic54x.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-tic54x.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-v850.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-vax.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-vax.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-xstormy16.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-xtensa.h: Likewise.
	* config/tc-z8k.c: Likewise.
	* config/tc-z8k.h: Likewise.
	* config/vms-a-conf.h
	* doc/Makefile.am: Likewise.
	* doc/all.texi: Likewise.
	* doc/as.texinfo: Likewise.
	* doc/Makefile.in: Regenerate.
	* Makefile.in: Regenerate.
	* configure: Regenerate.
	* config.in: Regenerate.
	* po/POTFILES.in: Regenerate.
gas/testsuite/
	* gas/all/gas.exp: Remove a29k and m88k support.
	* gas/m88k/allinsn.d: Delete.
	* gas/m88k/allinsn.s: Delete.
	* gas/m88k/init.d: Delete.
	* gas/m88k/init.s: Delete.
	* gas/m88k/m88k.exp: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/add.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/add.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/add.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/align.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/align.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/align.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/bitnum.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/bitnum.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/bitnum.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/ccode.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/ccode.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/ccode.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/cregops.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/cregops.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/cregops.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/endmask.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/endmask.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/endmask.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/float.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/float.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/float.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops2.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops2.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops2.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops3.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops3.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops3.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops4.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops4.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/regops4.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs1.c: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs1.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs1.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs1.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs1b.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs2.c: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs2.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs2.lst: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs2.s: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/relocs2b.d: Delete.
	* gas/tic80/tic80.exp: Delete.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre

[-- Attachment #2: curr.diff.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gunzip, Size: 99565 bytes --]

* RE: Unsupported targets slated for removal
@ 2005-08-10 13:51 Christian Groessler
From: Christian Groessler @ 2005-08-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Alan Modra wrote:
>
> This zaps non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets, with the exception
> of z8k which
> Christian is in the process of converting.  I'll commit tomorrow.

Umm, yes. I had it once already working but got distracted.
It needs some major cleanup and update to current HEAD, but I hope I can
finish it by next week.

regards,
chris

* Re: Unsupported targets slated for removal
@ 2005-03-23  9:28 ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2005-03-23  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Groessler; +Cc: binutils

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 06:08:30PM +0100, Christian Groessler wrote:
> >     z8k-*-*           Christian, please update z8k to use bfd!
>
> Is there a guide how to do this somewhere, or should I simply start
> defining BFD_ASSEMBLER and then fix what breaks...

Yes, set bfd_gas=yes in configure.tgt, then fix what breaks.  Compare
target object files before and after..

--

@ 2005-03-22 17:41 Christian Groessler
From: Christian Groessler @ 2005-03-22 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)