From: "David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>
To: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@novell.com>
Cc: binutils@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Use of as_fatal
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:40:51 +0200
"Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@novell.com> wrote:

[ Please, again, line wrap your emails.  Not doing so makes them
  not so easy to ready.  Thank you for your attention on this matter. ]

> Hmm, that sounds odd. The test expands and purges 26**4 macros, to
> check that the purging reclaims the memory used for the macro
> definition; there's certainly some memory implicitly used elsewhere
> that can't be reclaimed, so it still shows an increasing memory usage
> over the time it runs.

Perhaps I'm just not patient enough...

Indeed after about 56 seconds the test does complete successfully.

But this is on the fastest machine I own, a 1.5GHZ UltraSPARC-IIIi.

I can't imagine this completing within the default testsuite timeout
of 300 seconds on my 300Mhz Ultra-II system for example.  And consider
someone on an m68k machine or similar.

Is it possible to tone down the number of macros the testcase expands
and purges?  Perhaps something like 16**4 or something like that?  It
should still be possible to make sure that the memory is reclaimed,
or another mechanism to detect proper memory reclaiming could be
devised.