* Patch for IA64 gas testsuite failure
@ 2005-05-06 18:04 Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2005-05-06 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

This could probably be checked in as an obvious fix but I don't have
write access to the binutils tree.  When using readelf with --sym, HP-UX
complains that it is an ambigous option.  It is interesting that only
HP-UX and not Linux considers --sym to be ambigious.  It can mean either
--syms or --symbols, but those are different names for the same option
anyway.  I guess the difference must be due to some underlying system
call used to implement the option recognition.  Other tests I looked at
all used --syms so that is the change I propose here.  Tested on IA64
HP-UX.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com

gas/testsuite/ChangeLog:

2005-05-06  Steve Ellcey  <sje@cup.hp.com>

	gas/ia64/global.d: Change --sym to --syms.

*** src.orig/gas/testsuite/gas/ia64/global.d	Fri May  6 10:10:12 2005
--- src/gas/testsuite/gas/ia64/global.d	Fri May  6 10:10:50 2005
***************
*** 1,4 ****
! #readelf: --sym
  #name: ia64 global label

  Symbol table '.symtab' contains 5 entries:
--- 1,4 ----
! #readelf: --syms
  #name: ia64 global label

  Symbol table '.symtab' contains 5 entries:

* Re: Patch for IA64 gas testsuite failure
@ 2005-05-26  7:15 ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2005-05-26  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sje; +Cc: binutils

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 10:18, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> When using readelf with --sym, HP-UX
> complains that it is an ambigous option.  It is interesting that only
> HP-UX and not Linux considers --sym to be ambigious.

This appears to be a feature of the linux getopt_long implementation.
It treats two options as ambiguous only if they have different field
values in the struct option array.  Whereas HPUX treats multiple matches
as ambiguous regardless of the field values.

> 	gas/ia64/global.d: Change --sym to --syms.

I checked this in for you.