* AIX 4.3
@ 2006-10-10 13:24 Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2006-10-10 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

Currently our company builds it's product on AIX 4.3. However, lately,
there have been strange linker errors like:

  ld: 0711-759 INTERNAL ERROR: Source file code_save.c, line 2944.
  Depending on where this product was acquired, contact your service
  representative or the approved supplier.
  collect2: ld returned 16 exit status

We use gcc 2.95.3, with the native linker.

Is it possible I would be able to use the ld from the binutils package
to link our application on aix 4.3 with gcc 2.95.3?

Are there any known pitfalls?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

* Re: AIX 4.3
@ 2006-10-11 22:17 ` Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2006-10-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 09:25:04AM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently our company builds it's product on AIX 4.3. However, lately,
> there have been strange linker errors like:
>
>   ld: 0711-759 INTERNAL ERROR: Source file code_save.c, line 2944.
>   Depending on where this product was acquired, contact your service
>   representative or the approved supplier.
>   collect2: ld returned 16 exit status
>
> We use gcc 2.95.3, with the native linker.
>
> Is it possible I would be able to use the ld from the binutils package
> to link our application on aix 4.3 with gcc 2.95.3?
>
> Are there any known pitfalls?

Ping, I'm assumming that no one uses AIX 4.3, and so I'm not getting a
response. What if I ask in general, does binutils (ld) work on AIX?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

* RE: AIX 4.3
@ 2006-10-11 22:33   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-10-11 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bob Rossi', binutils

On 11 October 2006 15:09, Bob Rossi wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 09:25:04AM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently our company builds it's product on AIX 4.3. However, lately,
>> there have been strange linker errors like:
>>
>>   ld: 0711-759 INTERNAL ERROR: Source file code_save.c, line 2944.
>>   Depending on where this product was acquired, contact your service
>>   representative or the approved supplier.
>>   collect2: ld returned 16 exit status
>>
>> We use gcc 2.95.3, with the native linker.
>>
>> Is it possible I would be able to use the ld from the binutils package
>> to link our application on aix 4.3 with gcc 2.95.3?
>>
>> Are there any known pitfalls?
>
> Ping, I'm assumming that no one uses AIX 4.3, and so I'm not getting a
> response.

  I reckon you've put your finger on the problem there.  AIX doesn't even have
an entry in MAINTAINERS, so I guess it's likely not receiving much interest.
There's been a few threads mentioning AIX this year, but not many, and they
were all referring to 5.x

>  What if I ask in general, does binutils (ld) work on AIX?

  In general, why don't you try it and see?  The "make check" results should
be informative.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: AIX 4.3
@ 2006-10-12  3:43   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-10-12  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Rossi; +Cc: binutils

Bob Rossi <bob_rossi@cox.net> writes:

> Ping, I'm assumming that no one uses AIX 4.3, and so I'm not getting a
> response. What if I ask in general, does binutils (ld) work on AIX?

Last I heard the GNU linker worked OK on earlier AIX versions, but not
on AIX 4.3.  But I might be out of date.

The AIX linker is very clever and does a lot of required optimization,
and the documentation ranges from sparse to nonexistent.  And AIX
changes the linker with every release.  So it's a tedious process to
keep the GNU linker working on each new AIX version.

Ian