On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:05:57 +0000 Andrew STUBBS wrote: > I think you misunderstand externals. I think I rather misunderstood you, and tried to address different particular problems that you were trying to address. > 1. External directories are automatically checked out when you check > out the parent. My suggestion is specifically NOT to check out ALL > subdirectories. Okay, then for that, externals is mostly useless.. although you can still use -n to checkout non-recursively the main directory and then checkout what you actually need (this is what I actually do for KDE and a few other cases). As I said, different scopes on the suggestions, I was suggesting a way to avoid the extra script, you were suggesting a way to avoid the whole checkout. > 3. You can't commit the whole tree at once, if part of it is > external, unlike with switched directories (from the same > repository), where it is totally transparent. And this is a point well taken, I didn't think at all of this, thanks for the insight, it's something I'll have to think about next time I set up a repository. -- Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/