* RE: Old binutils bug? R_386_NONE
@ 2006-10-16  1:24 Novick, Ivan
From: Novick, Ivan @ 2006-10-16  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton, Ivan Novick; +Cc: binutils, maxim yegorushkin

In fact if you search on google you will see many people with various
different applications getting this error at run time on RedHat 7.2.

If the linker is putting NULL reloc's into the binary and the loader was
not accepting them then obviouslly people would have trouble.

Here is one example of another person with same issue:
http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/jadmin/2002-March/004217.html

Ivan

From: Nick Clifton @ 2006-10-13 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Novick; +Cc: binutils, Ivan Novick, maxim yegorushkin

Hi Ivan,

> I am running an inhouse application which exits at startup with the error:
>
> "unexpected PLT reloc type 0x00".  The error occurs on a linux redhat 7.2 ia32
> install but not on a more recent version of redhat linux.

I think that this is probably a dynamic loader error rather a binutils
bug.  The NULL reloc should probably just be ignored (since it has
already been processed and turned into a NULL value), but the loader
with your 7.2 system is not doing this.

Cheers
   Nick

* Old binutils bug? R_386_NONE
@ 2006-10-06  3:53 Ivan Novick
From: Ivan Novick @ 2006-10-06  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Ivan Novick, maxim yegorushkin

Hi,

I am running an inhouse application which exits at startup with the error:

"unexpected PLT reloc type 0x00".  The error occurs on a linux redhat 7.2 ia32
install but not on a more recent version of redhat linux.

I did some research on the binutils list which prompted me to run

readelf -r on the bad binary and in the output there is one line in the
Relocation section '.rel.plt' section that looks like this:

00000000  00000 R_386_NONE

I am guessing that this line is evidence of the issue.

Can someone please tell me if there was at some point in history an issue where
apps were getting an error message of unexpected PLT reloc type and if possibly
the cause was due to "NONE" items being generated?

Thank you very much for any insight at all you could give on this issue.
Ivan