* Z80 changes getting into releases
@ 2010-10-12 13:20 Chris Smith
From: Chris Smith @ 2010-10-12 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Binutils, Arnold Metselaar

Hi everyone.

Last October Arnold Metselaar fixed a few major z80 target issues that I raised
with gas and ld, where they produced incorrect outputs.

Fixes committed on 17/10/2009 and 25/10/2009.

Currently I build binutils from CVS as these changes have still not made it
into the release, making the stable release for this target broken. Anyone
using the current or previous releases of binutils for target z80-unknown-coff-
* will produce incorrect output.

I am fielding support requests from people building my z80 projects because
they are using a z80-unknown-coff-* binutils shipped with their distro (for
instance debian ships 20.2.1). This is getting a little painful to manage, and
often ends with having to change the entire z80 project so that a different
assembler can be used, with no library, link map or linking support :-(

What is the usual release build timing for changes?

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: Z80 changes getting into releases
@ 2010-10-12 13:30 ` Tristan Gingold
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2010-10-12 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Smith; +Cc: Binutils, Arnold Metselaar

On Oct 12, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Chris Smith wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Last October Arnold Metselaar fixed a few major z80 target issues that I raised
> with gas and ld, where they produced incorrect outputs.
>
> Fixes committed on 17/10/2009 and 25/10/2009.
>
> Currently I build binutils from CVS as these changes have still not made it
> into the release, making the stable release for this target broken. Anyone
> using the current or previous releases of binutils for target z80-unknown-coff-
> * will produce incorrect output.
>
> I am fielding support requests from people building my z80 projects because
> they are using a z80-unknown-coff-* binutils shipped with their distro (for
> instance debian ships 20.2.1). This is getting a little painful to manage, and
> often ends with having to change the entire z80 project so that a different
> assembler can be used, with no library, link map or linking support :-(
>
> What is the usual release build timing for changes?

There is a major release each year around October.  There is also a minor release around January.

You can always ask to commit a patch on the release branch, which is generally a good idea for patches that fix a regression or an important bug.

The good news is that we plan to do a release soon and will therefore includes these patches.

Tristan.

* Re: Z80 changes getting into releases
@ 2010-10-12 13:41   ` Chris Smith
From: Chris Smith @ 2010-10-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 14:30:44 Tristan Gingold wrote:

> There is a major release each year around October.  There is also a minor
> release around January.

Okay.

> You can always ask to commit a patch on the release branch, which is
> generally a good idea for patches that fix a regression or an important
> bug.

Noted for the future.

> The good news is that we plan to do a release soon and will therefore
> includes these patches.

Good news indeed. If the release was a way off, I'd follow your advice and
request a release patch.

Thanks.
Chris