* Convert ELF with stabs to A.OUT
@ 2012-02-03 16:38 Smets, Jan (Jan)
From: Smets, Jan (Jan) @ 2012-02-03 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if there is a way to convert ELF executables with stabs debugging information to the older a.out format.

I have a objcopy that supports both elf and a.out formats.

objcopy -I elf32-i386 -O a.out-i386 --debugging in.o out.o

The output I get is:  don't know how to write debugging information for a.out-i386: Success   , no file is written.

write_debugging_info in objcopy.c only works if the target format is elf or coff.

Is there anything else I can try?

There are a number of reasons why I need a.out with stabs. (crappy debugger) I don't want to discuss that.

Thanks in advance

 - Jan

* Re: Convert ELF with stabs to A.OUT
@ 2012-02-04  5:38 ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2012-02-04  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smets, Jan (Jan); +Cc: binutils

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:38:27PM +0100, Smets, Jan (Jan) wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is a way to convert ELF executables with
> stabs debugging information to the older a.out format.

Translating executables is too difficult for objcopy.  Recompile and
relink.  If you don't have the source, then you've discovered one of
the reasons why open source is so nice.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM