* File missing from the git: texinfo/texinfo.tex
@ 2013-10-23 16:40 Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2013-10-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, gdb

Just a heads-up.

Looks like at least one file didn't make it in the git
conversion; worse, one needed by the src-release targets (which
is used to build releases and snapshots): texinfo/texinfo.tex.

This will cause problems with people's autotesters and snapshot
creation.  (Tom Tromey is alerted and on it; the git may have to
be re-created or something like that.)

brgds, H-P

* Re: File missing from the git: texinfo/texinfo.tex
@ 2013-10-23 16:51 ` Tom Tromey
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Tom Tromey @ 2013-10-23 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Peter Nilsson; +Cc: binutils, gdb

Hans-Peter> Just a heads-up.
Hans-Peter> Looks like at least one file didn't make it in the git
Hans-Peter> conversion; worse, one needed by the src-release targets (which
Hans-Peter> is used to build releases and snapshots): texinfo/texinfo.tex.

Hans-Peter> This will cause problems with people's autotesters and snapshot
Hans-Peter> creation.  (Tom Tromey is alerted and on it; the git may have to
Hans-Peter> be re-created or something like that.)

I had put texinfo into the list of directories to remove before
conversion.  This caused the problem.

I think there are two choices to fix it.

One, fix my script and redo the conversion.  This is easy, though (1) it
takes quite a lot of time, (2) any git commits since the first
conversion will have to be re-applied (there aren't many -- I can handle
it), and (3) any work anybody else has done on a clone of the repository
will have to be redone.

The argument for this choice is mainly that it is more true to the
history.  E.g., with the current git repository you can't faithfully
re-create old releases.

Two, pretend the problem away and check in the file now.

I don't really have a preference.  However it would be good to decide
soon.  So, please send email today.

thanks,
Tom

* Re: File missing from the git: texinfo/texinfo.tex
@ 2013-10-23 16:55   ` Fred Cooke
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Fred Cooke @ 2013-10-23 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Hans-Peter Nilsson, binutils, GDB Development

Redo it and maybe see if we can fix the discontinuity at the same
time? Maybe someone can take a look at the existing repo if you can
provide a hash/date/other identifier for the problem area, and find a
solution to use?

How about applying the texinfo to a temp branch and trying to weed out
other issues before going to the hassle, too?

Fred.

@ 2013-10-23 17:00   ` Paul Smith
From: Paul Smith @ 2013-10-23 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Hans-Peter Nilsson, binutils, gdb

On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 10:51 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Two, pretend the problem away and check in the file now.

> I don't really have a preference.  However it would be good to decide
> soon.  So, please send email today.

For what it's worth, in GNU make I don't archive this file at all;
instead I retrieve it dynamically from the gnulib repository.  I do this
with a bunch of files, such as po files and other things.  This forces
people who want to build from Git repos to run a "make update" rule
first but it's nice because I don't need to keep up with whatever's the
latest upstream.  Unless you have a need for some specialized version of
texinfo.tex this might be something to consider.

git-url = http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit
target = $(patsubst get-%,%,$@)

gnulib-url = $(git-url)/gnulib.git/plain/build-aux/$(patsubst get-config/%,%,$@)
get-config/texinfo.tex:
	@echo $(WGET) $(gnulib-url) -O $(target) \
	  && $(WGET) $(gnulib-url) -O $(target).t \
	  && $(move_if_change)

* Re: File missing from the git: texinfo/texinfo.tex
@ 2013-10-23 17:04   ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2013-10-23 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: binutils, gdb

> From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
> Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 18:51:27 +0200

> I don't really have a preference.  However it would be good to decide
> soon.  So, please send email today.

FWIW no preference from me.  I'll see if there are other issues
exposed by my autotesters (for binutils and sim, for some
targets).

@ 2013-10-23 17:05     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2013-10-23 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Cooke; +Cc: Hans-Peter Nilsson, binutils, GDB Development

Fred> Redo it and maybe see if we can fix the discontinuity at the same
Fred> time?

I'm not going to do that.

Fred> Maybe someone can take a look at the existing repo if you can
Fred> provide a hash/date/other identifier for the problem area, and find a
Fred> solution to use?

Look at the commits coming after 1730ec6b1848f0f32154277f788fb29f88d8475b

Fred> How about applying the texinfo to a temp branch and trying to weed out
Fred> other issues before going to the hassle, too?

I don't see how it helps.

Tom

* Re: File missing from the git: texinfo/texinfo.tex
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-10-24  9:56   ` Pedro Alves
From: Pedro Alves @ 2013-10-24  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Hans-Peter Nilsson, binutils, gdb

On 10/23/2013 05:51 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Hans-Peter> Just a heads-up.
> Hans-Peter> Looks like at least one file didn't make it in the git
> Hans-Peter> conversion; worse, one needed by the src-release targets (which
> Hans-Peter> is used to build releases and snapshots): texinfo/texinfo.tex.
>
> Hans-Peter> This will cause problems with people's autotesters and snapshot
> Hans-Peter> creation.  (Tom Tromey is alerted and on it; the git may have to
> Hans-Peter> be re-created or something like that.)
>
> I had put texinfo into the list of directories to remove before
> conversion.  This caused the problem.
>
> I think there are two choices to fix it.
>
> One, fix my script and redo the conversion.  This is easy, though (1) it
> takes quite a lot of time, (2) any git commits since the first
> conversion will have to be re-applied (there aren't many -- I can handle
> it), and (3) any work anybody else has done on a clone of the repository
> will have to be redone.
>
> The argument for this choice is mainly that it is more true to the
> history.  E.g., with the current git repository you can't faithfully
> re-create old releases.

Yeah.   If it were up to me, I'd just bite the bullet and do this.  The
existing repo doesn't need to be shut down while the recreation takes
place.  That can be done offline while the current repo is still up,
until a point when the git commits are re-applied (and git here
allows easily preserving all the commit's info: authors, dates, etc.).

So it seems to me the only downside is requiring people to refetch and
rebase.  Personally, I think the repo is young enough for that to not
be a real problem.  I have 180 local branches and with the approach
I sent the other day in the "git is live" thread, it just takes me
a couple minutes, and the occasional rebase ("git rebase --onto",
or if use stgit like me, just plain "stg rebase").

--
Pedro Alves

* Re: File missing from the git: texinfo/texinfo.tex
@ 2013-10-24 11:37     ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2013-10-24 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Alves; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Hans-Peter Nilsson, binutils, gdb

> > The argument for this choice is mainly that it is more true to the
> > history.  E.g., with the current git repository you can't faithfully
> > re-create old releases.
>
> Yeah.   If it were up to me, I'd just bite the bullet and do this.

FWIW, same for me.

--
Joel

* Re: File missing from the git: texinfo/texinfo.tex
@ 2013-10-24 13:50     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2013-10-24 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Alves; +Cc: Hans-Peter Nilsson, binutils, gdb

Pedro> Yeah.   If it were up to me, I'd just bite the bullet and do
Pedro> this.

I restarted the conversion here, with the texinfo bug fixed.
If there's an outcry against it, it's no trouble, I can stop it any time.
Meanwhile this puts us in a position to switch over tonight or tomorrow.

Tom

* Re: File missing from the git: texinfo/texinfo.tex
@ 2013-10-24 15:50       ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2013-10-24 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: palves, binutils, gdb

> From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:50:38 +0200

> Pedro> Yeah.   If it were up to me, I'd just bite the bullet and do
> Pedro> this.
>
> I restarted the conversion here, with the texinfo bug fixed.

FWIW, I noticed no other issues while working around the texinfo
issue.

brgds, H-P