* Suppressing unresolved symbol errors when a library couldn't be found
@ 2014-06-26 20:36 Cary Coutant
From: Cary Coutant @ 2014-06-26 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Binutils, H.J. Lu, Alan Modra, Nick Clifton, Ian Lance Taylor

I've received a request for a change to gold that would suppress the
hundreds of useless unresolved symbol errors that follow an error for
a missing library (as all the unresolved symbols would have been
resolved by the missing library).

It looks like Gnu ld works like this already -- the link terminates
before printing any unresolved symbol errors. (But if there are
multiple files that can't be found, it does print them all before
exiting.)

Any objections to changing gold so that the unresolved symbol errors
don't get printed? Does Gnu simply exit before getting that far, or
does it suppress the unresolved symbol errors?

-cary

* Re: Suppressing unresolved symbol errors when a library couldn't be found
@ 2014-06-27  0:57 ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2014-06-27  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cary Coutant; +Cc: Binutils, H.J. Lu, Nick Clifton, Ian Lance Taylor

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 01:36:48PM -0700, Cary Coutant wrote:
> I've received a request for a change to gold that would suppress the
> hundreds of useless unresolved symbol errors that follow an error for
> a missing library (as all the unresolved symbols would have been
> resolved by the missing library).
>
> It looks like Gnu ld works like this already -- the link terminates
> before printing any unresolved symbol errors. (But if there are
> multiple files that can't be found, it does print them all before
> exiting.)
>
> Any objections to changing gold so that the unresolved symbol errors
> don't get printed? Does Gnu simply exit before getting that far, or
> does it suppress the unresolved symbol errors?

Gnu ld exits.  ldlang.c:open_input_bfds():

  /* Exit if any of the files were missing.  */
  if (input_flags.missing_file)
    einfo ("%F");

Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM