* Release 2.25.1 - plan
@ 2015-07-09 12:31 Tristan Gingold
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2015-07-09 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Binutils

Hello,

many patches have been pushed on the 2.25 branch after the initial release.
The flow looks to be now quiet, so it’s time to do a new release.

Does anyone plan to backport a patch to the 2.25 branch soon ? If so, please
speak up *now*.

I’d like to start the 2.25.1 release next week.

Tristan.

* Re: Release 2.25.1 - plan
@ 2015-07-09 14:01 ` Peter Bergner
       [not found] ` <8CCF65FBE54B884C85A7D47EBF0834C7092F90BD@storexdag03.amd.com>
From: Peter Bergner @ 2015-07-09 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Gingold; +Cc: Binutils, Alan Modra

On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 14:31 +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> many patches have been pushed on the 2.25 branch after the initial release.
> The flow looks to be now quiet, so it’s time to do a new release.
>
> Does anyone plan to backport a patch to the 2.25 branch soon ? If so, please
> speak up *now*.

I'd like the following recent patch from Richard fixing a ppc64 linker
bug to be backported:

  https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-07/msg00035.html

Peter

* Re: Release 2.25.1 - plan
@ 2015-07-09 14:38   ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2015-07-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Bergner; +Cc: Tristan Gingold, Binutils

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 09:00:11AM -0500, Peter Bergner wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 14:31 +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > many patches have been pushed on the 2.25 branch after the initial release.
> > The flow looks to be now quiet, so it’s time to do a new release.
> >
> > Does anyone plan to backport a patch to the 2.25 branch soon ? If so, please
> > speak up *now*.
>
> I'd like the following recent patch from Richard fixing a ppc64 linker
> bug to be backported:
>
>   https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-07/msg00035.html

I'm on it.  That one, plus ppc476 linker shared lib fixes, plus
aligning TOC.  Running tests overnight.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM

* Re: Release 2.25.1 - plan
@ 2015-07-10 11:35 ` İsmailDönmez
       [not found] ` <8CCF65FBE54B884C85A7D47EBF0834C7092F90BD@storexdag03.amd.com>
From: İsmailDönmez @ 2015-07-10 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Tristan Gingold <gingold <at> adacore.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> many patches have been pushed on the 2.25 branch after the initial
release.
> The flow looks to be now quiet, so it’s time to do a new release.
>
> Does anyone plan to backport a patch to the 2.25 branch soon ? If so,
please
> speak up *now*.
>
> I’d like to start the 2.25.1 release next week.
>
> Tristan.

There is PR18199 which is a regression, but I am not sure it can block a
release since it seems to be mingw only.

* Re: Release 2.25.1 - plan
@ 2015-07-11  1:05     ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2015-07-11  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Bergner; +Cc: Tristan Gingold, Binutils

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:08:40AM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 09:00:11AM -0500, Peter Bergner wrote:
> >   https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-07/msg00035.html
>
> I'm on it.  That one, plus ppc476 linker shared lib fixes, plus
> aligning TOC.  Running tests overnight.

These are the commits I ended up pushing to the branch.

Fix powerpc gas abort on invalid instruction fixups
Make powerpc bfd ld reloc overflow vs undefined symbols match gold
powerpc: Add slbfee. instruction
powerpc: Only initialise opcode indices once
Rewrite relro adjusting code
Align .TOC. for PowerPC64
Non-alloc sections don't belong in PT_LOAD segments
Add hwsync extended mnemonic.
ppc476 linker workaround shared lib fixes
Remove unused MTMSRD_L macro and re-add accidentally deleted comment.
ppc476 linker workaround shared lib fixes again
Allow for optional operands with non-zero default values.
PPC sync instruction accepts invalid and incompatible operands
Remove ppc860, ppc750cl, ppc7450 insns from common ppc.
Fix an opd->adjust index in elf64-ppc.c

--

@ 2015-07-21  9:23   ` Pawar, Amit
From: Pawar, Amit @ 2015-07-21  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Gingold, Binutils

Hi ,

We would like to backport the MWAITX patch to this release. I do not have commit access. Could you please backport it?
Patch details: https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-06/msg00299.html
Commit id: 9916071f8df180400e39d1783d4a878cf57c61fe
GitLink: https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=9916071f8df180400e39d1783d4a878cf57c61fe

Thanks,
Amit

@ 2015-07-21 12:25     ` Tristan Gingold
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2015-07-21 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pawar, Amit; +Cc: Binutils

> On 21 Jul 2015, at 11:22, Pawar, Amit <Amit.Pawar@amd.com> wrote:
>
> Hi ,
>
> We would like to backport the MWAITX patch to this release. I do not have commit access. Could you please backport it?
> Patch details: https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-06/msg00299.html
> Commit id: 9916071f8df180400e39d1783d4a878cf57c61fe
> GitLink: https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=9916071f8df180400e39d1783d4a878cf57c61fe

I am not sure the pick is safe: there are a lot of conflicts in cherry-pick.  Backport is not easy.
Furthermore, this patch is not a fix for a regression: it adds new instructions.

I prefer not to merge it.

Tristan.