* ld using 2 byte writes
@ 2021-01-22 18:13 Douglas B Rupp
From: Douglas B Rupp @ 2021-01-22 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Modra; +Cc: Binutils

Greetings,

We have a customer complaint regarding performance with a networked disk
on a windows host, when creating a .dll.

The complaint is a local link takes 60 seconds, where as a networked
link takes 400 seconds.   Drive characteristics are similar and the
network itself is "very fast".

Using ProcessMonitor the customer found ld is using a lot of WriteFile
calls with 2 bytes, the biggest was around 200 bytes.

Curious if this would be a worthwhile project, e.g. an option to write
in X MB chunks?   Possible also for .o files as well as for ld.

Douglas Rupp, AdaCore

* Re: ld using 2 byte writes
@ 2021-01-24 21:59 ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2021-01-24 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas B Rupp; +Cc: Binutils

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:13:05AM -0800, Douglas B Rupp wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We have a customer complaint regarding performance with a networked disk on
> a windows host, when creating a .dll.
>
> The complaint is a local link takes 60 seconds, where as a networked link
> takes 400 seconds.   Drive characteristics are similar and the network
> itself is "very fast".
>
> Using ProcessMonitor the customer found ld is using a lot of WriteFile calls
> with 2 bytes, the biggest was around 200 bytes.
>
> Curious if this would be a worthwhile project, e.g. an option to write in X
> MB chunks?   Possible also for .o files as well as for ld.

It would be worth checking to see whether we do something silly in ld
to adversely affect IO performance, but otherwise no.  Why should ld
implement file IO buffering when that should already be happening?

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM