* Unresolved symbols when linking i960 programs
@ 2000-07-28  8:45 Bill Marcotte
From: Bill Marcotte @ 2000-07-28  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

   I am seeing strange behavior when linking i960 programs in elf32 format
which reference symbols defined in the linker command file.  I have a
program which references bss_start, etext, bdata, edata.  When I try to link
it, the linker gives me an undefined symbol error for one or more of them.
If I change the order in which they are referenced in the code, it might now
find the previously undefined symbol, but be able to resolve another one.

   If I compile or assmeble the program with the coff version of the compile
and link it with the elf32 loader, all symbols are resolved.

   I believe there is something wrong in ld when linking prgrams in elf32
format which reference symbols defined in the linker command file.

   I am using gcc-2.95.2 with binutils-2.10  on both Windows NT and Solaris.

   Does anybody have any ideas where the problem might be?  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

* Re: Unresolved symbols when linking i960 programs
@ 2000-08-10 11:42 Bill Marcotte
From: Bill Marcotte @ 2000-08-10 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

>    I am seeing strange behavior when linking i960 programs in elf32
>  format
> which reference symbols defined in the linker command file.  I have a
> program which references bss_start, etext, bdata, edata.  When I try to
>  link
> it, the linker gives me an undefined symbol error for one or more of
>  them.
> If I change the order in which they are referenced in the code, it might
>  now
> find the previously undefined symbol, but be able to resolve another
>  one.
>
>    If I compile or assmeble the program with the coff version of the
>  compile
> and link it with the elf32 loader, all symbols are resolved.
>
>    I believe there is something wrong in ld when linking prgrams in elf32
>
> format which reference symbols defined in the linker command file.
>
>    I am using gcc-2.95.2 with binutils-2.10  on both Windows NT and
>  Solaris.
>
>    Does anybody have any ideas where the problem might be?  Any help
>  would
> be greatly appreciated.

I tracked down the problem.  The hash table is getting corrupted.  I changed
the DEFAULT_SIZE constant in binutils-2.10/bfd/hash.c from 4051 to 6051.
The problem has since gone away.  I am not sure that I fixed the problem
or just covered it up.

I am surprised no one else is having this problem. If anyone has any better
ideas, please let me know.

Bill