From: Iain Sandoe <developer@sandoe-acoustics.co.uk>
To: Tristan Gingold <gingold@adacore.com>
Cc: binutils Development <binutils@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: [Patch mach-o/gas] make section type names target-dependent.
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:40:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 19 Dec 2011, at 12:28, Tristan Gingold wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Iain Sandoe wrote:

>>> Thank you for working on that.
>>>
>>> May I suggest a slightly different approach (feel free to discuss
>>> it) ?
>>>
>>> These section types are defined independently of the targets.  So
>>> I think they must stay in bfd_mach_o_section_type_name.
>>> I agree that some are not valid on some targets.  So just add a
>>> subtarget hook that returns FALSE if the section type is not
>>> supported by
>>> the target.
>>
>> Seems reasonable - I suppose we can work on the principle that the
>> section type can't be in an object unless it's supported - so we
>> only need to check when creating/writing.
>>
>> new version,
>> OK?
>
> Almost OK for me.  I don't understand the reordering of
> bfd_mach_o_section type.  They were ordering by values.  What is the
> new criteria ?

Well, the expensive search is on the text when running gas.  I was
thinking that, ideally, the tables would be ordered so that the most-
often-used types are near the beginning (a dup value had also crept in).

> OK without these reordering chunks.

presumably it's OK to remove the dup - or have I missed something?

>  Should I commit ?

I suppose I should do this one.. and see if I have everything in place
correctly...

cheers
Iain