* questions about objdump(1)
@ 2011-02-06  7:37 ali hagigat
From: ali hagigat @ 2011-02-06  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, gcc-help

I compile a C program by gcc and the result is an elf object file.
What is the structure of this object file? Does it have some headers
for sections and the byte information of those sections ONLY?
So where is ELF header? is it separate from section headers? The same
questions for the symbol table.

* Re: questions about objdump(1)
@ 2011-02-06  8:32 ` Amittai Aviram
From: Amittai Aviram @ 2011-02-06  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ali hagigat; +Cc: binutils, gcc-help

On Feb 6, 2011, at 2:37 AM, ali hagigat wrote:

> I compile a C program by gcc and the result is an elf object file.
> What is the structure of this object file? Does it have some headers
> for sections and the byte information of those sections ONLY?
> So where is ELF header? is it separate from section headers? The same
> questions for the symbol table.

These are questions about ELF rather than about GCC.  Good places to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_and_Linkable_Format

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1060/print

http://zvrba.net/writings/elf-itu2007.pdf

Amittai Aviram