From: "Ramana Radhakrishnan" <ramana.radhakrishnan@codito.com>
To: jitendra@linsyssoft.com
Cc: "Nick Clifton" <nickc@redhat.com>, binutils@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Running gas and ld test suites remotely.
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:40:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Jitendra,

<snip>

> I think I am lacking in understanding functionality of gas test suite.

Ok, generally the GAS testsuite works as follows :

We specify the assembly files and the equivalent disassembly files.
Remember GAS only produces object modules and not executables. So the way
one specifies a testcase is to provide a .s and a .d file which are
essentially the source assembler file and the expected disassembly file.
So the testsuite runs the assembler , does an objdump using the objdump
from the build tree and compares the output of the two.

As Nick said in an earlier post, there is really no need to execute the
executables.

> Is there any document that describes functionality of gas test suite?
> Does ld test suite have same nature(nothing is ever executed.) as gas?

Again the linker testsuite is similar. The linker in addition to creating
executables fundamentally creates a memory layout for the executable,
hence it is enough to check if the sections have been laid out as
expected. So AFAIK there is no actual executable that gets run by the
linker.

Also with the linker its enough to test for the same. You do a ld -r and
check that the relocs produced are as expected   / the section headers
produced are as expected etc. etc.

HTH
cheers
Ramana