* Procedure to allow creation of a"users/ARM" namespace on binutils-gdb git?
@ 2016-03-10 10:08 Thomas Preudhomme
From: Thomas Preudhomme @ 2016-03-10 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

TL;DR: What needs doing to OK the creation of a "users/ARM" namespace on
binutils-gdb git?

The toolchain that ARM maintains at [1] occasionally contains some patches on
top of the stable binutils and gdb branches on which it is based. Typically,
this would be backports to add support for a new ARM architecture (eg. Cortex-
m7 support in our release based on GCC 4.8 and 4.9). The source for this is
currently only available as tarball and we would like to have publicly
available branches for users who which to have the patch breakdown or prefer
to use git clone. These would work in a similar manner to the ARM/embedded-5-
branch in GCC SVN repository. We believe the most sensible location for
hosting these branches is on sourceware as a sub-namespace of users, in the
same way as the "users/hjl" namespace. People would then clone the binutils
branch with git clone -b ARM/embedded-5-branch
ssh://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git and similar for gdb.

We are therefore wondering what is the procedure to OK the creation a new
namespace (say users/ARM) on sourceware?

[1] https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded

Best regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

* Re: Procedure to allow creation of a"users/ARM" namespace on binutils-gdb git?
@ 2016-03-14 12:07 ` Thomas Preudhomme
From: Thomas Preudhomme @ 2016-03-14 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, Nicholas Clifton

Ping?

@ 2016-03-14 12:43   ` Marcin Kościelnicki
From: Marcin Kościelnicki @ 2016-03-14 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Preudhomme, binutils, Nicholas Clifton

Is there even such a procedure?  I assumed branches in "users/" may be
created at will by anyone (I didn't ask anyone before creating my
users/mwk/*).

@ 2016-03-14 14:29     ` Thomas Preudhomme
From: Thomas Preudhomme @ 2016-03-14 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Marcin Kościelnicki, Nicholas Clifton

On Monday 14 March 2016 13:43:04 Marcin Kościelnicki wrote:
> Is there even such a procedure?  I assumed branches in "users/" may be
> created at will by anyone (I didn't ask anyone before creating my
> users/mwk/*).

I don't know if there is one but I wanted to make sure of that first. Nick, can
we indeed proceed with creating such branches in users/ without any pre-
approval needed?

Best regards,

Thomas

* Re: Procedure to allow creation of a"users/ARM" namespace on binutils-gdb git?
@ 2016-03-15 10:19       ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2016-03-15 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Preudhomme, binutils; +Cc: Marcin Kościelnicki

Hi Thomas,

> Nick, can we indeed proceed with creating such branches in users/ without any pre-
> approval needed?

Provided that you have write access to the repository, then yes.

Cheers
  Nick

* Re: Procedure to allow creation of a"users/ARM" namespace on binutils-gdb git?
@ 2016-03-15 16:28         ` Thomas Preudhomme
From: Thomas Preudhomme @ 2016-03-15 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Nick Clifton

On Tuesday 15 March 2016 10:19:21 Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > Nick, can we indeed proceed with creating such branches in users/ without
> > any pre- approval needed?
>
> Provided that you have write access to the repository, then yes.

Done, thanks.

Best regards,

Thomas