* Re: (BFD): Non-byte addressing possible?
@ 2000-07-17  5:32 Timothy Wall
From: Timothy Wall @ 2000-07-17  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

As Ian suggested, the tic54x code makes use of octets_per_byte to use
word addressing (in that case, two octets per byte; you will want 16
octets per byte).  tic54x specifically uses a variant of COFF, but you
should be
able to extend the usage to ELF.

Please note that the tic54x target is not in binutils 2.9 or binutils
2.10; you will need to obtain the code from CVS.

T.

* Re: (BFD): Non-byte addressing possible?
@ 2000-07-14 10:27 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2000-07-14 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dicarlo; +Cc: binutils

   Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:21:16 +0200
   From: Di Carlo Federico <dicarlo@apegate.roma1.infn.it>

   We are trying to port all binutils to our parallel-architecture machine.

   This architecture demands non per-byte addressing.
   In fact we have to provide address via a 32 bit bus referring 16 byte (a
   word, in this machine) with an address.

   For example if address 0x8000 is address 0x4000 for memory controller
   then address 0x8001 is address 0x4010 . So subseguent addresses refers
   to 128 different bits in memory.

   As far as we discovered it's not possible to force binutils (just BFD
   ELF support, we guess, due to relocs) to support this feature, so we
   think we'll have to do very strange magic translation at reloc/link
   time.

   Are there any features we didn't see or any back-end already using such
   an addressing we could study?

See the tic54x and the octets_per_byte code.  Perhaps it will help.

Ian

* (BFD): Non-byte addressing possible?
@ 2000-07-14  7:21 Di Carlo Federico
From: Di Carlo Federico @ 2000-07-14  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi there!

We are trying to port all binutils to our parallel-architecture machine.

This architecture demands non per-byte addressing.
In fact we have to provide address via a 32 bit bus referring 16 byte (a
word, in this machine) with an address.

For example if address 0x8000 is address 0x4000 for memory controller
then address 0x8001 is address 0x4010 . So subseguent addresses refers
to 128 different bits in memory.

As far as we discovered it's not possible to force binutils (just BFD
ELF support, we guess, due to relocs) to support this feature, so we
think we'll have to do very strange magic translation at reloc/link
time.

Are there any features we didn't see or any back-end already using such
an addressing we could study?

Thanks!

Federico Di Carlo