* Re: Add -j/--display-section option to readelf
@ 2024-06-18  8:21 Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2024-06-18  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: Binutils

Nick,

I notice this commit added use of a file with a .0 extension (the file
itself was added by a separate, earlier one). While of course in principle
any extension may be used for testcase expectations, I find this a little
odd (and, likely irrelevant here, it gets in the way of some of my
scripting). Would you mind if I renamed the file to display-section-0.r
(and the other one perhaps to display-section-rel.r for consistency)?

Thanks, Jan

* Re: Add -j/--display-section option to readelf
@ 2024-06-18  8:34 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2024-06-18  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Binutils

Hi Jan,
> I notice this commit added use of a file with a .0 extension (the file
> itself was added by a separate, earlier one). While of course in principle
> any extension may be used for testcase expectations, I find this a little
> odd (and, likely irrelevant here, it gets in the way of some of my
> scripting). Would you mind if I renamed the file to display-section-0.r
> (and the other one perhaps to display-section-rel.r for consistency)?

Not at all, please do.

On a totally unrelated topic, there is something that I have been meaning
to ask you.  Would you be interesting in becoming a co-chief maintainer of
the GNU Binutils ?

I ask because Alan is retiring, and I am hoping to something similar in a
few years time.  So it would be good to have someone with both the energy
and the knowledge to take over running the Binutils project.  What do you
think ?

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: Add -j/--display-section option to readelf
@ 2024-06-18  8:43   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2024-06-18  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: Binutils

On 18.06.2024 10:34, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>> I notice this commit added use of a file with a .0 extension (the file
>> itself was added by a separate, earlier one). While of course in principle
>> any extension may be used for testcase expectations, I find this a little
>> odd (and, likely irrelevant here, it gets in the way of some of my
>> scripting). Would you mind if I renamed the file to display-section-0.r
>> (and the other one perhaps to display-section-rel.r for consistency)?
>
> Not at all, please do.

Thanks.

> On a totally unrelated topic, there is something that I have been meaning
> to ask you.  Would you be interesting in becoming a co-chief maintainer of
> the GNU Binutils ?
>
> I ask because Alan is retiring, and I am hoping to something similar in a
> few years time.  So it would be good to have someone with both the energy
> and the knowledge to take over running the Binutils project.  What do you
> think ?

Well. I certainly much appreciate the consideration. Yet "in a few years
time" perhaps applies to me as well, so trying to find someone a little
younger than (apparently) the two of us may be better. Plus I'm not sure
I could accommodate this, both time and infrastructure wise (albeit at
least the latter could likely be sorted, with some effort).

Jan