* Binutils backwards incompatibilities?
@ 2004-11-29 19:37 Jeff Baker
From: Jeff Baker @ 2004-11-29 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Is there any way to easily get a list of any potential backwards
incompatibilities between binutils versions?  We're finally looking to
move forward to a newer version (from 2.12.1 to 2.15, at least) but
management needs to know about any gotchas before they'll sign off.

* Re: Binutils backwards incompatibilities?
@ 2004-11-30 10:57 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2004-11-30 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbaker; +Cc: binutils

Hi Jeff,

> Is there any way to easily get a list of any potential backwards
> incompatibilities between binutils versions?  We're finally looking to
> move forward to a newer version (from 2.12.1 to 2.15, at least) but
> management needs to know about any gotchas before they'll sign off.

Have a look at the NEWS files in the ld/ binutils/ and gas/ subdirectories.

In general there should not be any backwards incompatibilities from a
user's perspective, with the possible exception of toolchains that have
been rendered obsolete and are no longer supported.

 From an application point view, (ie an application that uses the BFD
library) there have been quite a few changes in the API, especially
between 2.14 and 2.15.  These are not normally documented, but will
become obvious as soon as the application is rebuilt.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: Binutils backwards incompatibilities?
@ 2004-11-30 16:02   ` Jeff Baker
From: Jeff Baker @ 2004-11-30 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: binutils

I am aware of a couple of incompatibilities with SH4 support.  For one a
subset of the relocations were renumbered; the second involves the
treatment of relocation addends.  We ship our kernel in such a manner
that it needs to be relocated as it's being added to a boot image.  The
relocation addend change means that you can't relocate a kernel built
with an older toolchain with the newer toolchain or vice versa.

Is this the kind of stuff I'd find in the NEWS files?

@ 2004-11-30 17:13     ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2004-11-30 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbaker; +Cc: binutils

Hi Jeff,

> I am aware of a couple of incompatibilities with SH4 support.  For one a
> subset of the relocations were renumbered; the second involves the
> treatment of relocation addends.  We ship our kernel in such a manner
> that it needs to be relocated as it's being added to a boot image.  The
> relocation addend change means that you can't relocate a kernel built
> with an older toolchain with the newer toolchain or vice versa.
>
> Is this the kind of stuff I'd find in the NEWS files?

Not really no.  The gas/NEWS file does mention that SH4A support was
added for 2.15 but nothing is mentioned about reloc renumbering.

The long answer to your original question is that there is no formal
system for collecting potential incompatibilities between different
binutils releases and documenting them.  Thus if you need to find out if
a newer release will still work with binaries created with an older
release the only way to be sure is to try it and see.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: Binutils backwards incompatibilities?
@ 2004-11-30 18:38       ` Jeff Baker
From: Jeff Baker @ 2004-11-30 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: binutils

I was afraid you'd say that :)