* -Werror enabled by default for binutils
@ 2005-03-16 16:46 Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2005-03-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi Guys,

  Today is the day.  Now that we have a 2.16 branch I am checking in a
  patch to the mainline sources to add -Werror to the compiler command
  line when building in the bfd/ binutils/ gas/ gprof/ ld/ and
  opcodes/ directories.

  This feature can be disabled via the --disable-error-on-warning
  command line switch.

  Since Ben brought this subject up a while ago and suggested a patch
  for it I am including him in the ChangeLog entry, although I have
  modified his patch somewhat.

Cheers
  Nick

bfd, binutils, gas, gprof, ld, opcodes/ChangeLog

2005-03-16  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>
	    Ben Elliston  <bje@au.ibm.com>

	* configure.in (error-on-warning): New switch: Add -Werror to the
	compiler command line.  Enabled by default.  Disable via
	--disable-error-on-warning.
	* configure: Regenerate.

[-- Attachment #2: Werror.patch.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip2, Size: 1207 bytes --]

* Re: -Werror enabled by default for binutils
@ 2005-03-16 17:10 ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 2005-03-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 16:28, Nick Clifton wrote:

>   This feature can be disabled via the --disable-error-on-warning
>   command line switch.

Any reason why this has to be different from the --disable-werror config
option used in gcc?

R.

* Re: -Werror enabled by default for binutils
@ 2005-03-16 17:20   ` Christian Joensson
From: Christian Joensson @ 2005-03-16 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Earnshaw; +Cc: Nick Clifton, binutils

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:34:27 +0000, Richard Earnshaw
<rearnsha@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 16:28, Nick Clifton wrote:
>
> >   This feature can be disabled via the --disable-error-on-warning
> >   command line switch.
>
> Any reason why this has to be different from the --disable-werror config
> option used in gcc?

whoa, pls make binutils and gcc use as similar configure switches as possible...

--
Cheers,

/ChJ

* Re: -Werror enabled by default for binutils
@ 2005-03-16 17:26 ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2005-03-16 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi Guys,
>
>   Today is the day.  Now that we have a 2.16 branch I am checking in a
>   patch to the mainline sources to add -Werror to the compiler command
>   line when building in the bfd/ binutils/ gas/ gprof/ ld/ and
>   opcodes/ directories.
>
>   This feature can be disabled via the --disable-error-on-warning
>   command line switch.

I would just like to mention that GCC's configure script spells this
option --disable-werror.  Consistency would be nice.

zw

* Re: -Werror enabled by default for binutils
@ 2005-03-16 18:08   ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2005-03-16 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: binutils

Hi Zack [and everyone else who mentioned this....]

> I would just like to mention that GCC's configure script spells this
> option --disable-werror.  Consistency would be nice.

Sorry - I was looking at the guile sources when I implemented this and
they use --enable-error-on-warning.  I have now switched the configure
files over to using --enable-werror/--disable-werror.

Cheers
   Nick